5.0 block compatibility ('94 mustang vs '01 mountie) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 block compatibility ('94 mustang vs '01 mountie)

fordxfactor

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT, '01 Mountie 5.0
Hi everyone. I have an '01 Mountaineer with a TIRED 302 in it. I have a '94 302HO x.. bare block from my '94 Mustang and I can't find out if I can use the '94 block to build a stroker motor for the '01. '94-'95 5.0 Mustangs had different timing covers and I don't know if Ford did something funky with the bolt pattern on the front of the block. Also, I am going to be using ported/polished P heads to keep all the emissions stuff for the '01. Does anyone know if there are any differences in the blocks that will hinder my stroker motor dreams??? Just trying to limp this baby along until I can build a motor for her!

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

The block is the same. It's the balancer that is different as well as the water pump and all mounting brackets.

The Explorers use DIS which has the crank trigger integrated into the balancer. The balance is also differnt. Explorers use a 50oz ballance.

There are several threads that go into great detail on this issue.

This is the thread you need to read.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193059

thank you for the quick reply. i knew about the balancer and DIS. just wanted to make sure Ford didn't do any thing funky with the block.
thanks again.

Back