• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Build

Accarguy

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer 5.0 AWD
I have just recently bought a 2000 ex 5.0 awd and I am wondering if a gt40 intake will bolt right on with a 70mm throttle spacer.
I am upgrading from a 99 4.0 that I am using to pull parts from. So my other question is has anyone converted an awd into a 4wd from the v6? Just wondering if it is possible or not.
And any other suggestions that you may have for me to upgrade on it would be much appreciated. My plan is to put on a cold air intake and cat back exhaust from gibson, does anyone have any reviews on gibson?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just saw you picked one up 2 weeks ago. Nice! Any pics? :)

IMG_6253.jpg

here is a picture still at the dealer, it should be in my hands middle of the week.

Oh ok. I'm guessing you're having it shipped?

Good find! You got what you were looking for. I'll be following this.

So my other question is has anyone converted an awd into a 4wd from the v6? Just wondering if it is possible or not.

are you asking if the awd will work when you convert from the v6 drivetrain to the v8 drivetrain?

I bought a v8 awd, I am wondering if I can take the 4wd transfer case and everything else I may need with it from and put it in the v8.
[MENTION=255441]4DoorFord[/MENTION] thanks for that link and yes it is been shipped from Oregon.

That's what I though. Thanks for the reply. And right now my plan is a Mac cold air intake and a Mac 3" cat back exhaust. Any opinions about that? I have watched a few vids online and the Mac ones seem to sound a little better than the Gibson in my opinion.

The Explorer 5.0, 93-95 5.0 Cobra, and Ford Racing GT40 intake, are actually all gt40 intakes, they look a bit different but perform very similar.

Interesting, thanks for the link. Now my next question is would you recommend in intake spacer to lift up the intake. If so what brand and where from?

I found a 1 inch phenolic spacer that comes with bolts and gaskets but I would need a longer egr tube correct?

Correct.

Or have an extension TIG welded in the middle like I did mine.

Also if you add the spacer your coil mounting bracket will need to be modified.

Most people use an intake spacer to clear taller valve covers or to isolate heat between the upper and lower intakes. I am not really sure the performance effect it has, as it does increase the runner length a bit, but yes you would need to extend your egr tube or get an adapter.

Cool thanks for the reply. Any other upgrades to the 5.0 that you would recommend?

Well for the Explorer 5.0 the waiting list for the torque monster headers seems to be months. There is always a better camshaft, roller rockers, electric fan, a tuner for the PCM, small shot of nitrous, stroker 331 or 347, better heads, depends what kinda power you want to make and how much you want to spend.

headers and camshaft is definitely in the plans for down the road. Where can I get a tuner from that I can actually get some use out of. I tried looking and didn't really find anything.

She did arrive the other day and this is baby brand new for 100k on it. You can still see the plating on the bolts under the hood. Now it's just getting time to get my lift and exhaust on.

I'm not sure on tuners but I read people mentioning SCT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMG_1472.jpg

She is so clean, i cannot get over it. I have a new grille and new head lights going in.

Back