• Register Today It's free!

5.0 cam suggestions

Explodedford

Reaction score
City, State
NEW YORK
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB
Ok guys ive got my engine out of my truck and im on the fence about changimg the cam. I called comp cams and told them what im working with and that i occasionally tow a 6000 ib trailer and offroad my truck now and then but it is mainly a daily driver. I have a 5.0 with a 4r70w with a shift kit, a 4406 transfer case and 4.10 gears so they recomened an extreme energy xr264

Here's a link to the specs
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=660&sb=2

I have a comp cam in my 95 mustang and it was a pain to tune the guy on the phone told me this eould work well with my setup and not give me tuning issues but i would like multiple opinions on this because once its in i dont want to take it back out

My build so far is:
gasket match porting on stock intake
Trickflow twisted wedge 170cc heads
Torque monster headers (if they ever call me back)
stock 5.0 block
cam?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That cam should work ok with the stock PCM, however you will gain the most from the modifications through tuning.

obd2 tuning is quite different, and can be accomplished remotely. In fact, James at
www.hensonperformance.com who is our forum vendor for such things, tuned my x cam 347 Mountaineer in this manner.

Im not used to obd2 tunning i assume i would have to buy an obd2 hand helled tuner and then get a tune from him and load it ony truck?

And do you think i will see noticible gains over stock with this cam.

Thanks

Im not used to obd2 tunning i assume i would have to buy an obd2 hand helled tuner and then get a tune from him and load it ony truck?

And do you think i will see noticible gains over stock with this cam.

Thanks
You'd need something like the SCT XCal, and yes that's how it works.

new cam w/ a nice new tune, you will absolutely see gains.

Also, did they say XE or XR, because the XR is for a Chrysler and the XE is the one for our 5.0's.

You'd need something like the SCT XCal, and yes that's how it works.

new cam w/ a nice new tune, you will absolutely see gains.

Also, did they say XE or XR, because the XR is for a Chrysler and the XE is the one for our 5.0's.

the guy said xr but i looked it up and saw that it should be the xe i just never changed it in the thread by accident. and that sounds like it should work well i think i may go this route. what tuners do you guys like and use?

i emailed him just waiting for him to get back to me but on a side note i finally placed my order for tm headers

Do you guys know if tfs 1.6 rr fit under the stock valve covers?

Back