• Register Today It's free!

5.0 DIS engine upgrades.

mswogger

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 5.0 DIS
I need information on the upgradeability of the DIS version of the 5.0. The only vehicle I have come accross as having it so far is the 97 and newer Explorer.

What I am most interested in is if a person were to do massive upgrades to one of these engines ( such as twin turbos, head porting, race exhaust, etc. ) and thus needed custom fuel and timing maps, is this a possibility or not.

As refference, I have been told that the speed density ( 86 to 88 Mustang ) is a great candidate for this type of project because you can buy an aftermarket computer or kit for the computer and have a system that is fully tuneable by a laptop. While the MASS air versions ( 88 to 93 ) are great for normal upgrades such as headers, compression, and heads, they start to lack with major mods.

So. Does anyone know if there are aftermarket parts for making custom fuel and timing curves for the DIS systems, or perhaps workarounds? Keep in mind the engine will be handled as a seperate unit, no vehicle speciffic stuff required. It will most likely have no emissions worries, be in a passenger car or older 4X4, and we are not shy about making custom parts from wiring harnesses to headers, to even frames.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lots of aftermarket devices and applications for the Distributorless Ignition System. Many for the 5.0 Mustang with DIS are interchangeable. It would be possible to upgrade to COP (coil on plug) set-up with lots of time, an appropriate PCM (computer), and common sense.

I am a little new to the fuel injected scene so am going mostly off of what my 5.0 friend says is out there, but neither of us have head of a DIS 5.0 until I stumbled accross the one in the Explorers. Since Ford switched to the DIS 4.6 prety early in the Mustangs it appeared that the 5.0 got dropped before that upgrade was made.

Do you know what Stangs actually got DIS AND a 5.0? If I can just find a good selection of companies for aftermarket computers and computer upgrades to send my frined to he could tell me how feesable an idea it would be to make the conversion I am planning on.

Basically, I have an '89 Saleen 5.0 in a '68 Cougar and happened across a '97 Explorer wiring harness. When I saw the coil pack plugs on hte harness I had gleaming eyes at the thought of no caps and rotors to replace and the eficiency of the ignition system. Unfortunately, COP would not be a realistic idea with my headder set up but a project that would also tickle my fancy now that you bring it up.

One other notable mention, I have the 3L73 rear diff out of a first year Explorer going in the Cougar as well since it is about a half inch narrower than the stock 8 inch. The rear disks from an '89 Lincoln Mark VII fit beautifly with just a slight auging of the big hole to fit the bigger bearing ends in the housing. People will be amazed when they see how well this car performs and I tell them those 0 - 60 numbers, 60 - 0 numbers, and other perfomrance specs come from using mostly SUV parts ( rear diff, heads, intake, etc. ). Ford knows how to build an SUV! ... and everything else for that matter...

What I would do is buy an SCT Pro-Racer package for around $700 and this would give you full controll of your PCM including Timing and fuel maps. It would also work perfect with your factory PCM and harness so that you wouldn't have to cut into or change anything. You could turn the auto tranny functions on or off if you wanted to swap to a 5 speed too. Also it comes with a Raptor datalogger so there's $400 of the $700 so you're actually just paying for more then the computer functions.

Just my opinion. :)

Thanks,Doug

I converted a Kenne Bell mustang supercharger to work with the Explorer EEC-V EDIS engine and FEAD. Check out the following:

http://groups.msn.com/RangerKB/shoebox.msnw?Page=1

http://groups.msn.com/MarlaTodd/ranger.msnw

Each link has a few pages. I currently have an SCT flash on my EEC and will buy the SCT PRP very soon. Working on a custom water/air intercooler and potentially adapting the EDIS EEC-V system to my 410W if I can afford to re-assembly anytime soon. Lots of potential!

Back