5.0 engine problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 engine problems

he is correct, the alternator can introduce noise and cause cam sensor codes. I have not had a 5.0 truck do that to me yet..........but I have heard about it happening in the Ranger world

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

he is correct, the alternator can introduce noise and cause cam sensor codes. I have not had a 5.0 truck do that to me yet..........but I have heard about it happening in the Ranger world

Don't no but I'm running a 1000 watt Amp with a aftermarket radio with no problems.

Don't no but I'm running a 1000 watt Amp with a aftermarket radio with no problems.
Were you playing music at full power on your 1000 Watt amp when the problem occurred? That might have been a bit too much for the alternator.

Were you playing music at full power on your 1000 Watt amp when the problem occurred? That might have been a bit too much for the alternator.
No but I have had to replace the hinges 2 times on the rear hatch.

I run a DTC scan this morn and got aB1352 ign key in circuit failure.

I have a 2000 explorer 5.0 with 286,000 on it and having serious issues excelerating it seem to be losing power , backfiring until I let off the throttle, I have changed the cam position sensor, throttle sensor, crank sensor don't no what else to try any help would be greatly appreciated
Everyone seems to be jumping on sensor or wiring problem. You might want to consider that a 5.0 with 250,000 mile might have a worn out timing set (chain and or sprockets) and jumped timing (and possibly bent a valve). This could explain all your symptoms.

I have a 2000 explorer 5.0 with 286,000 on it and having serious issues excelerating it seem to be losing power , backfiring until I let off the throttle, I have changed the cam position sensor, throttle sensor, crank sensor don't no what else to try any help would be greatly appreciated
Jesus I read the thread you just got a lot of bad advice. The backfire immediately tells me you have unburned fuel in the combustion chamber and it’s firing when it’s not supposed to. A weak fuel pump or a bad alternator is not gonna do that. Sounds like your timing is off honestly. I think you have a mechanical problem not wiring and sensors.

I don't think so buti will check it thanks
Guys, do you think it could be the coils themselves? I was chasing a similar problem a few years ago and it turned out to be the coils.

Maybe I need to explain what it's doing a little better, the motor runs find easing down the road the problem starts when you try to give it more gas or you hit a hill top speed is about 55 mph I mean you have to baby it to get that fast.

Maybe I need to explain what it's doing a little better, the motor runs find easing down the road the problem starts when you try to give it more gas or you hit a hill top speed is about 55 mph I mean you have to baby it to get that fast.
A bent intake valve or an engine out of time can act exactly like this. I know this from sad past experiences.

It
It's really hard to explain what it's doing I have never had one to do anything like this and I have been around a minute.

My 1996 did the same thing. I chased it around and went the long route to finally figure out that it was the Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter. I would start with the fuel filter but with that kind of mileage I would also replace the Fuel Pump. It wasn't too awful bad but I would recommend getting one of those fuel line Disconnect tool kits off of Amazon. They were worth their weight in gold. Also get the plier that have like Trim pliers but in reverse. The fuel pump was only $39 and the fuel filter was cheap too. That' what I think is your problem.

I
My 1996 did the same thing. I chased it around and went the long route to finally figure out that it was the Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter. I would start with the fuel filter but with that kind of mileage I would also replace the Fuel Pump. It wasn't too awful bad but I would recommend getting one of those fuel line Disconnect tool kits off of Amazon. They were worth their weight in gold. Also get the plier that have like Trim pliers but in reverse. The fuel pump was only $39 and the fuel filter was cheap too. That' what I think is your problem.
Checked the fuel filter last weekend that was what I was thinking but I didn't replace it I think I will go getting one just to eliminate that.

My 1999 5.0 with same mileage just had the same weird performance issues going up the hills and at higher speeds. I also chased it around with random parts and sensors. Then one day driving down the road it died on me, I coasted into the gas station, filled up with fresh gas, and it started fine and ran all the way home. Thanks to these forums that’s what told me it was a bad fuel pump. Got it replaced and it hasn’t had a problem since. So I vote try the fuel pump.

I'm curious why no one has suggested a packpressure issue caused by a plugged cat? Seems like this would cause many of the symptoms.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm curious why no one has suggested a packpressure issue caused by a plugged cat? Seems like this would cause many of the symptoms.
Maybe because it doesn't have one.

Back