5.0 explorer looking for some performance | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 explorer looking for some performance

I have a 97 Explorer with the 5.0 in it. Please excuse some of the questions if they seem elementary (I am a 4.6 Guy).

Basically, I am looking for a little bit more power without breaking the bank. More passing power/ more torque to be exact.

What are the corks to these motors? I know I wont get much, but would a TB/intake net me much? I dont think so, but the TB on this truck looks pretty small. I understand the Explorer intakes are pretty desireable, so I was pretty much looking past that.

are underdrive pullies worth it on these motors? I know with the 4.6 motors, they dont really do anything other than destroy your motor

Just looking for some cheap tricks/inexpensive parts to get this truck moving a little better.

TIA!!

Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first thing--you have to get headers--serious.
The stock ones look kind if cool, but believe me, the ports are tiny. I can not pass my finger through the #3 port. calling it 3/4 by 3/4 inch would be stretching it.

Torquemonster headers are your option here--
Since you are a member, you can get a discount. If you search for them you'll find what you need to know.

The first thing--you have to get headers--serious.
The stock ones look kind if cool, but believe me, the ports are tiny. I can not pass my finger through the #3 port. calling it 3/4 by 3/4 inch would be stretching it.

Torquemonster headers are your option here--
Since you are a member, you can get a discount. If you search for them you'll find what you need to know.

wow, I was hoping you were'nt going to say that :D ...they are $$!.

..but you guys know more than I!

what about a TB? anything there?

You might get more with a flasher--give it a good 91 octane tune--other than that, I would recommend getting it out, before putting more in, if you get my meaning. The headers will help out every future modification you perform.

As far as under drive pulleys go, no one currently makes them for an Explorer 5.0
Mustang ones will not work.

As far as under drive pulleys go, no one currently makes them for an Explorer 5.0
Mustang ones will not work.

well that sucks :thumbdwn:

what is it that is not compatible?

I am thinking of switching to an electric fan here in the near future....is it due to the waterpump pulley in any way?

You might get more with a flasher--give it a good 91 octane tune--other than that, I would recommend getting it out, before putting more in, if you get my meaning. The headers will help out every future modification you perform.

yeah, I may do that....I have an sct xcal that I dont use anymore....I could use that I suppose. and I get what you are saying....huge restriction in the exhause...not so much in the intake...

The crank pulley is one piece with the damper and the bloc kto belt plane spacing is different. That is why pulley kits don't fit. Throttle body is a 65mm piece, so not much there until you get serious with heads, displacement, or power adder.

Really, headers are best bolt on. Heads would be next option. Then power adder.

When I got my 5.0, I quickly put an air intake and new exhaust in. Then I waited for my SCT XC2 to come back with new programming. World of difference.

I don't know of many TB options available in the aftermarket. I scored a ported and polished OEM TB from an eBay seller. Seemed to make a little bit of a difference.

I definitely want TM Headers some day. I've got an upper intake spacer, but I gave up trying to do it myself (I'm a horrible mechanic). My plan is to visit Kansas some day and see if my buddy jtsmith will help me with headers and spacer. :D

When I got my 5.0, I quickly put an air intake and new exhaust in. Then I waited for my SCT XC2 to come back with new programming. World of difference.

I don't know of many TB options available in the aftermarket. I scored a ported and polished OEM TB from an eBay seller. Seemed to make a little bit of a difference.

I definitely want TM Headers some day. I've got an upper intake spacer, but I gave up trying to do it myself (I'm a horrible mechanic). My plan is to visit Kansas some day and see if my buddy jtsmith will help me with headers and spacer. :D

Yeah, when is that going to happen?
I just need to get up there and motivate you eh? :p:

Yeah, when is that going to happen?
I just need to get up there and motivate you eh? :p:

You get up here and the headers will be waiting. :D (so will the beers):chug:

Back