• Register Today It's free!

5.0 MAC Exhaust

b.voorhees

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 5.0 Limited
I have seen a lot of questions and posts about MAC exhausts and it had been a VERY long time since I have posted on here so I thought I would share my MAC exhaust experience...

I purchased my explorer in mid-March and only a few days later I placed an order for a MAC catback exhaust on Explorer Express. I knew it would take some time for me to get it so i was ready for the wait. A good three months later it showed up on my doorstep and it was probably one of the happiest days of my life lately.

I was amped and ready to get this baby on my truck. With much help from my friend we spent a good few hours getting my old rusty exhaust off and attempted to put the MAC exhaust on. We had a lot of trouble with it, the muffler barely fit on, the hangers were pointing in the wrong direction and MAC did not send me half the new hardware needed and we could not get the exhaust tip to line up to attach it. Now my friend and I certainly are not professionals or anything and we might have rushed into it or whatever blah, blah blah... (I don't need criticism about this, I have gotten enough). He defiantly knows more about working on explorer then I do but I am willing to learn and enjoy doing my own work. Anyway, I ended up leaving his garage with my exhaust literally half on (only the muffler was attached). Also, instead of properly being hung zip ties were there for reinforcement :(.

The exhaust looked like this when I left:
exhausthanger.jpg

exhaustfromrear.jpg

Another friend of mine came over to see the exhaust a week or so later and he actually managed to get the tip on. I did not want to attach it at that point though because all I had were the old rusty bolts from the stock exhaust. I also had the hanger dilema still which would require some welding to be put in the proper directon. You can see the problem in the first picture.. the hooks on the MAC point side to side. On my truck the hangers go front to back.

Fast forward to present time, where a few days ago my exhaust was finally complete. A friend of a friend properly welded and finished my exhaust for me. He also did not charge very much and I am pleased with the exhaust.

This is my truck just after having the exhaust complete and still on the lift.. I love the tip!! :D
283000_2230013070423_1250751150_32653493_5441266_n.jpg

A side view of my truck, you can see the tip sticking out..
IMAG0200.jpg

Another rear view, this time with the truck on the ground..
IMAG0201.jpg

If you would like to know how it sounds. Check out this video:
http://youtu.be/hs2asD-X0Ic
If I'd say so myself it sounds pretty good in this video but computer speakers definitely do not do it justice!!

In the end I say the exhaust was definitely worth it. I love the sound even though I have about 300-400 miles to break it in and it is supposed to sound even better. I can't wait!! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks doood!

Almost bought this exhaust for my 5.0 but was convinced out of it after hearing that MAC wouldn't fit up too well so I went with Flowmaster which fits better. It took myself and a friend 2 hours to remove the stock and install the Flowmaster. Sounds good though!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I was really disappointed with the fit of it also, but that's weird that your hangers are like that. Mine were in the correct direction, but I had to add a washer and pin on one hanger to keep it from sliding out because mine fit like yours and was crooked. Anyway, it's definitely the best sounding muffler I've heard for our trucks. It's been on my truck for about 7 years now, was never really installed all that well but everything is rusted together now so it's not going anywhere. I ended up hacking off everything behind the muffler and just have a turn down tip on it now.

Make sure the tailpipe section is secured really well. The hardware on mine ended up backing out and it was hanging just by the rearmost hanger. And get some paint on there, that's going to rust away if you leave it bare. Mine came painted.

I had similar issues with my Gibson kit on my 99. They were able to send me and alternate hanger though that worked. Another problem is clearance between the shock, 5th shock, and swaybar link. The heat from the larger pipe blew one of the shocks, I need to cut and turn it in that area to gain a bit of clearance.

Back