5.0 passenger exhaust manifold inner bolt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 passenger exhaust manifold inner bolt

crunchie_frog

Reaction score
City, State
Johnson City, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
Multiple 99-00 5.0 AWD
Looking for something else I can try on the inner bolt on the exhaust manifold to down pipe connection. I got the outer one by heating it cherry red and then wax/candle with repeated efforts. Also used penetrant the day before. I can get to the inner one with a 24” extension. Have used kroil oil, wax, heated bolt cherry red on the manifold side, impact, 36” breaker. It moved one time. Have tried moving back the other way, no luck. Letting it soak again now with kroil oil.

Thanks for any ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ended up pulling the manifold as much outboard as I could so that the flange was resting on the frame. Even though I could not see the bolt without a mirror, I used a 9" curved sawzall blade (and sawzall) to cut the bolt into.

As you can tell, no one had any good suggestions.
No fun at all.

Congratulations on getting the bolt cut. That had to have taken a while.

sorry i didnt see this sooner , ive done several of these and rolling the manifold down / rotating the flange on the pipe is what i do also but i have a arbor for my drill that will take a cuttoff wheel from a grinder , this is what i do with my wheels that wear down to small for my grinder , i also have my wheel well trimmed out so i have better access

sorry i didnt see this sooner , ive done several of these and rolling the manifold down / rotating the flange on the pipe is what i do also but i have a arbor for my drill that will take a cuttoff wheel from a grinder , this is what i do with my wheels that wear down to small for my grinder , i also have my wheel well trimmed out so i have better access

A Dremel tool with a grinding disk works really well too, though you may break a disk or 2. I've cut through some pretty tough stuff with that little disk and it's easier to get the Dremel into small spaces.

I have a metabo end grinder now that takes that same arbor , its a giant dremel , might try it on the next one

I have a metabo end grinder now that takes that same arbor , its a giant dremel , might try it on the next one

I have a rechargeable and a plug-in Dremel. I once cut through 10 lug studs to shorten them by 1" with the plug-in Dremel. It didn't take very long either. i also have a Pneumatic cut-off wheel for more heavy duty work.

Back