5.0 performance chip ?s | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 performance chip ?s

Here is a screen shot of the drive by wire. Note that this is only the main parameters which can be adjusted just clicking one of the parameters opens a whole new set of scalers and tables. To be honest the pro racers with SCT and some of thier dealers don't have calibrater access to drive by wire throttle. I really am glad because I don't think they should. If you change the wrong thing with a Ford drive by wire it will go wot. This is for a Shelby boxcode.

Second pic is just a sample of what can be changed. I couldn't get it all so I scrolled to the bottom because the drive by wire got the top of the parameters.-j

Attachments

• screenshot-advantage web.jpg
    screenshot-advantage web.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 255
  • screenshot-advantage web 2.jpg
    screenshot-advantage web 2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 283

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chris my offer still stands. By the way, what mods do you have again?

90mm MAF, 30# injectors, E cam, TM headers, PP intake, 70mm TB, EGR delete, custom intake tube, K&N cone and custom cat back as far as the tuning is concerned.

Here are the sniper screen shots:

Start new or load one you have already written and tweak it.
sniper1.JPG

If it's your first time, you need the code from your computer box so the software knows your stock specs.

Next, if you have done an displacement change or a whole engine change, you enter what you have. I kept my stock displacement so my answer is stock.

Then, you tell it what type of transmission you have. If you replaced an auto with a manual, you tell it so and the software knows to override the automatic transmission functions of OBDII

Then, input your current compression ratio if you have modified it.

Then, you add on your power adder if applicable. You can choose supercharger, turbo or nitrous. If you add boost, another screen that I have not included here opens and asks you if the power adder is stock, the boost pressure from 5 to 20# in a drop down, if you have an FMU or not and what type of intercooler you are using (none, air/air small, air/air med, air/air large or air/water). The only draw back to this system that I can see is that you can only tune for one power adder. Personally, if you are adding two power adders, you need help anyway.

sniper2.JPG

Next is the screen about your fuel delivery:

First your fuel system type (stock, set for return style)

Next set your injector size (stock, 19, 24, 30, 36, 39, 42, 50, 55, 60, 72, 83 or 96)

Then select a fuel pump style (stock, 160, 255, single Focus, twin Focus or Twin Cobra)

Then fuel octane (87, 91, 93, 100, 104, 106, 110, 116 or 118)

Returnless pressure (+1 to +15)

Here is the screen with these choices:

sniper3.JPG

The next screen in your intake system:

Mass Air Brand (C&L, Ford, PMAS, ProM, Sniper, Stock)

Next on this screen is MAF calibration, there are way too many optins to list here, basically it gives you all of the injector options plus many brand specific options.

Mass Air Location (Blow through, Draw through, stock and stock w/cold air)

sniper4.JPG

Next is your exhaust mods:

Headers (stock, short tube or long tube)

H/X pipe (stock, with converters, without converters)

rear o2's present (yes/no)

cat back (yes/no)

sniper5.JPG

Next is your automatic shifting points. All I personally did in this screen was made my shifting a little firmer but you can do

You can change your shift points by MPH, WOT or leave them alone, then make the shifts as firm as you want.

sniper6.JPG

Next is the engine controls:

Rev limiter is in +100 RPM incriments up to 1000 RPM and you can also make it unlimited. Since engine damage can occur by increasing this, a pop up message warns you of the dangers.

Speed limiter is in 10mph incriments from stock, 100mph to 150mph and unlimited. This also gives you a warning about the capabilities of your vehicle at speed.

Idle speed can be set in +50 RPM incriments up to 400RPM over stock

Tire height can be adjusted from 25-44.5" in .5" incriments.

Gear ratio, there are about 15 different ratios up to 2.73 up to 5.14

You can disable your PATS

If you vehicle is equipped, you can adjust the fan speeds at specific temperatures. 165 to 220 degrees

sniper7.JPG

Finally there is your fine tuning of your fuel and spark, this is where a little research goes a long way.

sniper8.JPG

Then you save it with a unique name. I use a convention of "explorer_number" and I keep a log of what I changed in each tune.

sniper9.JPG

After this, you load the tune into the interface, then load it into your vehicle with the interface.

Then you go try it. No emailing, no waiting. If you want to change something, you go back and do it again. If you reload the saved file, you would have to re do the fine tuning. Sniper resets them so you don't accidentally make double adjustments.

Damn, that does look simple.. and it is cheaper?

I plan on basic mods, mac intake, torque monster headers... some exhaust work maybe..

From what you two have shown me:
Sniper tuning is a lot more basic with simple options to customize. (but can be customized further with advanced options)
SCT, is for the professional tuning enthusiast with extensive work done on their vehicle.

Does that sound about right?..

Correct, and if you want to go advanced, you can upgrade to the Sniper Commando software that is equal to SCT ProRacer.

Wait wait, so there's like a basic and advanced edition for both?
So does SCT have a nice wizard like this also?

I should have been more specific. All that I posted is in the Special Forces package, if you want to get as advanced as what these other guys are posting, you can upgrade to the Commando package.

No no.. I want a simple thing with menus and general options.. I don't need to be tuning to exact numbers..

That is Special Forces then

Hows SCT's basic version? Is it as simple as Sniper's offering?

I'll leave that to the SCT supporters to tell you. Like I said before. I think you can do most/all of what Sniper offers but you can only tune 1 vehicle with it.

That would be fine, Sniper is looking like what I want.. But I'm still going to research other brands... Damn it for being so expensive for a program and wires........

What did ya get me for xmas? =)

You mean more money, right?... =\
And more time consuming?.. well.. if ur picky.. lol

Like I said before, having a professional tune your vehicle for you will save you money and save you tons of time compared to tuning it yourself. There are those few people that are exceptions to that, but for most people who want a tune for their vehicle what I said earlier will totally apply.

I'll leave that to the SCT supporters to tell you. Like I said before. I think you can do most/all of what Sniper offers but you can only tune 1 vehicle with it.

Storlied it all depends on what you want to do. If you plan to really change things around allot in the tune then you will probably want a tuning system that allows you to do that. However, I can say that most people do not need that capability and also do not need the added complexity of it as well. It is up to you.

Chris, just to clarify... I am not just a blind SCT supporter but rather a person who understands the complexities of real custom tuning and the rigors those of us who do it go through to learn this stuff. I am a nationally certified genius (big deal) by various Intelligence Quotient scores and even then this stuff is not easy to me. I do not mean to give my IQ as some sort of "my d*ck is bigger" kind of comment because I could really care less about it but I do post that to establish that I am not exactly a retard here. When you call a tuning system, any tuning system and its users "voodoo magic" you do a great disrespect to those of us who have taken the time to master or even become proficient with this stuff. You are confident in your tuning approach and that is fine. It does look like an interesting tuning option for folks. Just do not disrespect others; especially when you have limited experience with them. SCT is one of the more difficult tuning systems to master however it makes up for it in its sheer vast custom tuning abilities. It may not be for the lighthearted to try to tune their own vehicles with SCT, but it still remains a very good option for those people who just want one of us SCT tuners to whip up a tune for their vehicle for them. You don't have to respect it, but do not disrespect it.

Excuse me? I don't appreciate the use of the word "Retard" I find it very offensive. My brother is a retard and it's not his fault.. and to use it as slang is very insulting. I can't believe some people.. It's horrible..

Excuse me? I don't appreciate the use of the word "Retard" I find it very offensive. My brother is a retard and it's not his fault.. and to use it as slang is very insulting.

Sorry but you fell on your own sword in your very own post. You said you do not appreciate that word being used in that manner and then what do you call your brother? Now had you said that you brother is "retarded" then that would have been the proper vernacular. Your brother is not a retard. He is a human being who happens to be retarded. Sorry, but you cannot get on my case about using that word in common slang and then do it yourself. Seems hypocritical. Have a good day.

Lmao.. it was a joke but it went horribly wrong.. I don't even have a brother..

back to whats important... how would you say the customer service is with SCT compared to sniper?..

Lmao.. it was a joke but it went horribly wrong.. I don't even have a brother..

Well I do have a retarded brother and he told me it was ok to call him a retard!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just kidding of course. :D;)

Back