5.0 performance chip ?s | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 performance chip ?s

back to whats important... how would you say the customer service is with SCT compared to sniper?..

The customer service that customers get with their SCT dealer's is usually very good quality. Of course that all depends on the dealer themself, as with all dealerships. You know the same story with car dealerships, some Ford dealerships are great and others are terrible. It all depends. Most SCT dealers will take real good care of you and you will get a great product for a good price.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does SCT have a nifty easy to use wizard like the basic sniper tuning software?

back to whats important... how would you say the customer service is with SCT compared to sniper?..

I have had great customer service with Sniper. They have a Forum just like this one where you can get advise on the best adjustments or if you have a problem. www.snipertuningforums.com It's free to join, you don't even have to own a system. I joined before I bought one and got my questions answered before I spent my hard earned cash.

I had to call them once when I screwed up because I accidentally knocked the OBD2 plug out while I was loading a tune. The instruction book specifically tells you not to unplug it while it is loading. I called them, they picked up right away (never waited on hold) and the person on the phone guided me through how to reset my interface step by step and also helped me upgrade to an even more current version of the software than I already had.

Does SCT have a nifty easy to use wizard like the basic sniper tuning software?

The end user adjustable settings that are available on the Xcal2 device will allow you to adjust many commonly modified parameters in the tune. Jah81592 provided a small list of what those items are in a previous post. You will not even need to get into the software because these options are available to adjust on the device itself. That means that if you want to play with the tune a little bit you will not need your laptop with you to do so.

If you want to know more about this SCT stuff just to HERE and get on their free forums to check it out and ask any questions you may have.

Hmm.. seems like an easier choice.. not needing a laptop everytime..

Hm, no Vista support.

Hm, no Vista support.

More like Vista doesn't support anything else. Vista is about the worst OS the MS has come out with for a while. It may be somewhat stable but if it is not compatible with anything then how the heck can you really use it? The wife's laptop has Vista and it is a PITA finding accessories that will actually work with it.

I agree, but it still uses future technology. We're gonna be stuck using it.

You can partition your laptop to run XP (only the programs needing it). None of the tuning software recommend running Vista at this moment. As far as customer service check my reputation. I guarantee you won't be dissatisfied. Go into the need for speed forum and ask around in there. As far as my tuning, I am not going to beat my own drum just ask around and let this be your deciding factor. If you decide you want to upgrade to a racer package at a later date, well with SCT that is possible.-j

Alright, I have the SCT Xcal2 tuner.. it's completely tuneless... and I'm broke right now... What can I do with this?

I don't know.. what do I do to get it that way?

All I know is it's ready for a vehicle. Status is "Stock"

"Staus":
"Unprogrammed" - If the tune files are blank and you get this, Ooops! This device is "slick", there is NOTHING programmed in it. You might want to call your dealer! If there are tune files, it just means it hasn't been used yet.
"Stock" - The factory PCM program is loaded on the PCM and you can work with the XCal2 as needed to program your vehicle, transfer vehicles or sell it to another person so they can have it programmed for their needs.
"Performance" - The SCT tune is uploaded to the PCM - DO NOT update the firmware, programs or tunes until it is set back to "Stock" and you have verified it says "Stock". This unit is "Locked" to that vehicle and can not be reflashed or tuned for another vehicle until it is set back to "Stock". SCT can unlock this device for a HEFTY Fee, again, through a delaer only as it needs an RMA#.

New Sniper Owner

I bought a sniper last month and am very pleased with it. I am a total novice to this tuning as I have a superchips handheld (87 canned tune) on my '05 roush mustang, and I am running a pretty much stock tune on my sniper which is on my 5.0 1998 Explorer.

I'll tune my mustang later after I feel ok with the sniper. I bought the sniper new from the sniper guys in the booth from Florida at a car show. It was $300for the car show special. Also you can data log which I have done, now that was cool.

I'm trying to get better gas mileage out of the explorer and all I have is a cat back and a K&N. It seems to be getting much better mileage on the open road, but according to the instant mileage gauge in the car it is sucking more around town and at idle. Performance is up a few notches as well, all this on the 87 gas.

I suppose I need to "get a tuner" to decode all the info I have. I'm assuming all you tuning guru's can see my data log and tell me what to change? Is that how it works?

I'm a construction manager, I know how to build stuff, but I don't know beans about this tuning computer stuff. It's interesting but lots of variables.

Seems to me if I got the airflows right and had the voltages set correctly I'd be golden, but that's just my guess.

Is there a book I can read on this stuff? I did take statistics and calculus/diff equations in school many years ago. I can probably figure it out if I read about it. Or find a dude to throw some money at. What do tuners charge like some rate per hour? How does it work?

Jack

Get a copy of SCT's book, The Basics of Tuning.

Good luck .........

I bought a sniper last month and am very pleased with it. I am a total novice to this tuning as I have a superchips handheld (87 canned tune) on my '05 roush mustang, and I am running a pretty much stock tune on my sniper which is on my 5.0 1998 Explorer.

I'll tune my mustang later after I feel ok with the sniper. I bought the sniper new from the sniper guys in the booth from Florida at a car show. It was $300for the car show special. Also you can data log which I have done, now that was cool.

I'm trying to get better gas mileage out of the explorer and all I have is a cat back and a K&N. It seems to be getting much better mileage on the open road, but according to the instant mileage gauge in the car it is sucking more around town and at idle. Performance is up a few notches as well, all this on the 87 gas.

I suppose I need to "get a tuner" to decode all the info I have. I'm assuming all you tuning guru's can see my data log and tell me what to change? Is that how it works?

I'm a construction manager, I know how to build stuff, but I don't know beans about this tuning computer stuff. It's interesting but lots of variables.

Seems to me if I got the airflows right and had the voltages set correctly I'd be golden, but that's just my guess.

Is there a book I can read on this stuff? I did take statistics and calculus/diff equations in school many years ago. I can probably figure it out if I read about it. Or find a dude to throw some money at. What do tuners charge like some rate per hour? How does it work?

Jack
If you have a SCT X3,ExCal2 or Livewire I will custom tune you for $140.00-3tunes.-j

Jack, check out Sniper's forum at www.snipertuningforums.com. There are very knowledgable and respected tuners there that are more than willing to help you as well as the company owner who frequently helps people out on there. Their support is awsome. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, you can also call their tech hotline on their website. They have no problem helping you out. You being in FL, you may even be able to go to their shop and get dynoed by the experts for a reasonable rate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back