5.0 Sport Trac Lives | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Sport Trac Lives

Error codes C1102 C1230 C1237 PO500

What do I need to look for to fix those? The speedometer works but is slow responding at low speeds, have to get up to around 20 MPH sometimes before it moves. The rear axle sensor was changed in the donor vehicle shortly before the swap, attempting to get its ABS to work. (The tach is also flaky acting, I took the cluster apart and cleaned all the push in gauge contacts. Tach still iffy.)

Rear axle sensor only on both vehicles, no transfer case sensor in Mountaineer or Trac.

The acceleration switch from the donor has been mounted beside the battery, arrow pointing forward. Is there a way to eliminate this part?

I installed a complete new ABS unit for a 1998 Explorer/Mountaineer. No change in the acceleration switch codes, but codes relating to the ABS unit itself didn't come back.

I have a VCX Nano device and it makes no difference what I program in for tire size, the speedometer always reads the same, about 3 Mph fast.

Donor is a 1998 Mountaineer 302 AWD. Recipient is a 2002 V6 4x4 Sport Trac. PATS was swapped over from the donor so it's using the 1998 keys. Sport Trac GEM was kept. Rear axle and front 3rd member were transferred over.

Rear window doesn't work, didn't work when I got the Trac and I tried the reset procedure a few times before having the drivetrain swap done.

I didn't do the swap myself. Turns out the guy who did it is a drug addict who is now in jail in Oklahoma. I gave him a laptop to use for looking up information on this and other forums but I bet he pawned it or traded it for dope. I also traded him all the leftover parts (which included a good 5R55E transmission and the rebuilt V6 with about 3,000 miles).

I've had to re-do a lot of his screwups.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice job! I'd love to do this to my ST. That would make it the prefect vehicle for me. I just don't know if I'm up to that big of a project anymore (getting too old).

VERY cool build, I have my eye on a Sport trac and was thinking of Exp v8 swap in it. Since you have done this I will follow your thread. Any tips on what years to look for as I have not purchased anything yet?
BTW I did a 351w swap in a 88 Ranger so fab is no problem. I like things right not chopped and hacked but economical I had $1200 in my ranger done! Counting buying the truck!

VERY cool build, I have my eye on a Sport trac and was thinking of Exp v8 swap in it. Since you have done this I will follow your thread. Any tips on what years to look for as I have not purchased anything yet?
BTW I did a 351w swap in a 88 Ranger so fab is no problem. I like things right not chopped and hacked but economical I had $1200 in my ranger done! Counting buying the truck!

Thank you. As for which years, it is always up for debate. My combo might be the simplest, as far as electronics go. 1996 Explorer ECU with Job 1 2001 ST. There is no major fab work to be done, except fuel lines, for the most part. I had two full vehicles to swap parts from, which helped. Just get the v8 motor mounts and it should drop in. Most of the work is in the electronics.

I have two STs now, so I would still sell the one in this thread, if you are interested. You could then just focus on mods. :) :)

I'll try to help with any questions you have. I know others have done this more recently as well. I have done a few Ranger 302 swaps. The great thing about the Rangers I did, is that I had room for full length headers. With the Explorer you are limited due to space. You probably know more about that with the 351w though. :)

Good luck!
Don

Thank you. As for which years, it is always up for debate. My combo might be the simplest, as far as electronics go. 1996 Explorer ECU with Job 1 2001 ST. There is no major fab work to be done, except fuel lines, for the most part. I had two full vehicles to swap parts from, which helped. Just get the v8 motor mounts and it should drop in. Most of the work is in the electronics.

I have two STs now, so I would still sell the one in this thread, if you are interested. You could then just focus on mods. :) :)

I'll try to help with any questions you have. I know others have done this more recently as well. I have done a few Ranger 302 swaps. The great thing about the Rangers I did, is that I had room for full length headers. With the Explorer you are limited due to space. You probably know more about that with the 351w though. :)

Good luck!
Don
COOL! actually I ran full length headers with the 351w they were Tri-Y 66 Mustang headers worked well only a small dent on one tube to clear steering shaft. Fabbed my own motor mounts so they would fit. Ran flex fan and stock C4 Trans mount and drive shaft. Miss that truck!!! As nice as yours is I'm scared to ask what you want for it? :) :)

What tranny are you running? Is 4.0 same bolt pattern as 302?

COOL! actually I ran full length headers with the 351w they were Tri-Y 66 Mustang headers worked well only a small dent on one tube to clear steering shaft. Fabbed my own motor mounts so they would fit. Ran flex fan and stock C4 Trans mount and drive shaft. Miss that truck!!! As nice as yours is I'm scared to ask what you want for it? :) :)

What tranny are you running? Is 4.0 same bolt pattern as 302?

Tranny is a 4r70w. You want the v8 transmission...for sure. I am running the AWD transfer case and have an extra one. :) The 302 with the AWD/4WD 4r70w was the same length as the 4.0 with its 4WD transfer case. I was amazed. :)

You can send me a private message here, if you want. Not sure if you have enough posts to PM yet??

I used Tri-Y headers on the Rangers also. Got them from Total Performance in MI. I had to grind the frame on the passenger side just a hair on one. The others fit fine. It really does depend on how you end up mounting that engine. :) :)

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-ford-explorer-sport-trac/6299509437.html

Dang, I want it! I think the price is very reasonable. There are people selling 2001 SOHC 2WD's on my local craigslist asking for a lot more than $4K. I'd have to get that A/C working though.

Not my favorite color, but I could live with it. Put some better wheels and tires on that and you'd really have something.

Thanks. One thing about the color....you never have to wash it! I probably need to get the word out to the north. This is a great driver for the crappy weather people get north of me. I had considered replacing the wheels, but the tires are still in good shape and it drives nice, so I haven't bothered. Funny, but when I did my last Ranger v8 (a million years ago), I left the stock wheels and tires on it. Loved it. Massive sleeper.

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-ford-explorer-sport-trac/6299509437.html

Dang, I want it! I think the price is very reasonable. There are people selling 2001 SOHC 2WD's on my local craigslist asking for a lot more than $4K. I'd have to get that A/C working though.

Not my favorite color, but I could live with it. Put some better wheels and tires on that and you'd really have something.
Come and pick it up. I'll meet you guys and sell you a set of the OEM 16's, five spokes with caps, near new take off wheels I've had since about 2004. Oh, but you'd have to buy tires, I don't have any spare tires. I have spare 98 Limited wheels too, the 15's of 1996-1998, average shape.

Still a good truck Don, I have no doubt.

Come and pick it up. I'll meet you guys and sell you a set of the OEM 16's, five spokes with caps, near new take off wheels I've had since about 2004. Oh, but you'd have to buy tires, I don't have any spare tires. I have spare 98 Limited wheels too, the 15's of 1996-1998, average shape.

I wish I could buy it, but I can't recoup the money I put into my POS '01 SOHC ST, and I wouldn't sell it to anyone the way it is. It's good enough for me to use around town, but at some point it's going to either throw a timing chain or the transmission will quit.

Thanks, Don. ;)

Well, you never know when something is going to go out. My 2007 blew the radiator on day 2! I had a few problems with it the first few months....The 2001 had a dozen things wrong with it when I bought it and I fixed it all early on and it has been a good truck. Even brand new vehicles have problems, but for all that money you spend, they give you a warranty. :)

My 2002 V8 AWD converted Sport Trac just up and quit a few days ago. Started it then just before shifting into reverse it died. Since I pulled every fuse to check (all good) there's no codes to provide any clues as to what's wrong. I've tried swapping back in the PCM that was from the donor Mountaineer. No difference. Just cranks until it gets enough gas in a cylinder to stop it. Let it drain down overnight and it'll crank again.

I have a VCMII clone and a generic USB OBD2 device (it works with FORscan and other software). What readings should I look at while cranking to figure out what's wrong, or does it provide any useful data while cranking?

You getting enough fuel pressure at the rail? I'd start with that. You can pull the MAF connector and see if it will start in "limp" mode. I have not had to do any troubleshooting with a 96-up EEC. Just 95 and older.

Thanks, Don. ;)

Well, you never know when something is going to go out. My 2007 blew the radiator on day 2! I had a few problems with it the first few months....The 2001 had a dozen things wrong with it when I bought it and I fixed it all early on and it has been a good truck. Even brand new vehicles have problems, but for all that money you spend, they give you a warranty. :)

I bought new vehicles every 2-3 years all my working life. Now that I live on a fixed income and have the time to fool with older used vehicles I find them a major bargain to own, insure and pay taxes on. Plus I enjoy fixing them up, now that I have the time.

You may recall my journey with my '01 ST. Bought it cheap knowing it needed a fuel pump, windshield and 4 tires. Turned out to be a real lemon. The list of parts and repairs it needed was multi-paged (single spaced). Thank goodness my labor was free, and that I used good used parts wherever possible.

My ST hasn't broken down (knock on wood) since, without warning, it broke and spit a rear axle last year, but the transmission makes scary noises if stressed in reverse and the engine rattles on startup unless I get oil pressure up first. I knew it was a pig in a poke when I bought it sight-unseen, but with my rather extensive experience with Gen II Explorers I figured. how bad could it be? Turned out, pretty darn bad. Oh well, sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you. My experience with most of our other Explorers and Mountaineers has been and continues to be very positive. It's just a shame Ford never saw fit to up the 5.0L in the ST.

You getting enough fuel pressure at the rail? I'd start with that. You can pull the MAF connector and see if it will start in "limp" mode. I have not had to do any troubleshooting with a 96-up EEC. Just 95 and older.

Getting plenty of fuel. I can smell it. It's had a new fuel pressure regulator, pump, filter, cam sensor, crank sensor, EGR valve, tube and sensor, IAC, TPS, coils, plugs, and more before this latest issue. I just bought a second new right header pipe because while it was running super rich (apparently due to the cracked EGR pipe) it seems to have melted or otherwise destroyed the right rear cat. It rattles. Getting any chunks out of the Full Boar dual muffler isn't going to be fun.

Was going to get on replacing that last week, went out to eat last Monday and that's when it quit. First thing when I get a round tuit is checking the crank sensor to be sure its still connected. If the new cam sensor had failed it would still run. Just replaced that on my 98 Mountaineer (which has developed a rear diff howl). Still ran despite the insides of the sensor being broken off and rattling around inside the cam synchronizer.

I'm thinking of parting ways with this Trac. Been a PITA since the dope-head did the swap. Had to fix so much stuff he screwed up. Perhaps let it be someone else's project to redo. Problem there is there diesn't seem to be anyone else in the west half of the USA that's done this swap.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. :(

My V8 swapped ST is down at this time. I burnt a piston in cylinder 1 a couple of weeks ago. When time permits I plan on finding another donor engine for it. A friend of mine is going to go through the engine before having it installed.

Another friend of mine just bought a job 1 01 ST that sounds like Koda's ST. It is a real project but I think it can be saved. It has cosmetic issues in and out but the big problem is the trans is not shifting correctly. I have the trans from my V8 swapped ST that might go in it depending on what is found to be wrong with the trans in his.

Burnt a piston? How did that happen???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine has been done for about a year now. I have an 01 st, still have some issues though my speedo isn't working, its throwing a code for the cam position sensor, it started running rough and will give a strong smell of fuel, and now the t-case is skipping. Other than that i can drive it no problem and have been. I am wanting to switch it and get rid of the AWD and have ttue 4x4 but need to know all what's involved.

I am looking to do another project. Not sure why anyone wouldn't want this??? https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-ford-explorer-sport-trac/6299509437.html

Maybe I should sell my 2007 and keep the 2001!

I'll need to browse the forum... Has anyone else gotten their 5.0 project completed?

Back