• Register Today It's free!

5.0 swap

FluffyDragon

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999, Explorer, Sport, 2D
So I know people do 5.0 swaps all the time but honestly all I ever see are close/same year swaps with the EFI. I have a 69 302 Boss with a C4 trans in my f100 and was thinking of swapping it since I gotta rebuild the body on it. Plus I wanna swap it with a BBF. So question is has anyone done it? Know the difficulty? Just looking for input.

It's a C9 cast block with a c4 trans that I can drop in it. Im Building a show car that can run for fun. Don't need a ton of power but enough for it to be fun. It's a Vin X, Currently has the OHV v6, 5r55e, 8.8 rear.(Going to try the valve body gasket fix soon) But I know the cooling, suspension, rear end change, new shaft change to cell tank and wiring will need changed. But if I did this could cut down on my wiring and open space for other stuff. I've removed the rear seats for the build in sound system/power banks, and would like to clear the spare tool/storage areas for the bag systems. But got a backup plan incase of fitment issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

to swap it into your 2dr? i dont see how its too much different, engine wise. wonder if you can convert it to manual everythinc, mech fuel pump etc. imo the engone should be an issue, as afaik all the 302 blocks same. just stuff like fuel wiring timing cover balancer @410Fortune your guy!

to swap it into your 2dr? i dont see how its too much different, engine wise. wonder if you can convert it to manual everythinc, mech fuel pump etc. imo the engone should be an issue, as afaik all the 302 blocks same. just stuff like fuel wiring timing cover balancer @410Fortune your guy!
Yea it'll go in my 2wd/2dr. Been thinking of it for a while. Thought it would be cool having a Boss Explorer. Plus it'll cut down on alot of electrical issues.

What kind of 69 Boss 302 engine is that? If it's actual original parts, the block and heads are much more valuable for owners of a 69 or 70 Moss 302 Mustang. The 69 Boss 302 heads had 2.25" intake valves, larger than all other SBF/Cleveland heads ever made.

For swapping a high rpm 302 like that would tend to want a much more different vehicle than the low rpm Explorer.

What 302 parts do you have in mind for such a swap to the 99 Explorer, and what transmission? The truck was made for a 302 with the special 96-01 302 front dress, which is much shorter than older SBF pulleys, the water pump. The 4R70W transmission is bolt in too with the Explorer PCM and wiring etc. If you don't use most of the OEM external parts, wiring and computer, the swap is much different and harder.

What kind of 69 Boss 302 engine is that? If it's actual original parts, the block and heads are much more valuable for owners of a 69 or 70 Moss 302 Mustang. The 69 Boss 302 heads had 2.25" intake valves, larger than all other SBF/Cleveland heads ever made.

For swapping a high rpm 302 like that would tend to want a much more different vehicle than the low rpm Explorer.

What 302 parts do you have in mind for such a swap to the 99 Explorer, and what transmission? The truck was made for a 302 with the special 96-01 302 front dress, which is much shorter than older SBF pulleys, the water pump. The 4R70W transmission is bolt in too with the Explorer PCM and wiring etc. If you don't use most of the OEM external parts, wiring and computer, the swap is much different and my

What 302 parts do you have in mind for such a swap to the 99 Explorer, and what transmission? The truck was made for a 302 with the special 96-01 302 front dress, which is much shorter than older SBF pulleys, the water pump. The 4R70W transmission is bolt in too with the Explorer PCM and wiring etc. If you don't use most of the OEM external parts, wiring and computer, the swap is much different and harder.
It's a C9 cast block with a c4 trans that I can drop in it (though I would like a c6) Im Building a show car that can run for fun. Don't need a ton of power but enough for it to be fun. It's a Vin X, Currently has the OHV v6, 5r55e, 8.8 rear.( Going to change the valve body on the trans to see if it fixes the shifting issue) But I know the cooling, suspension, rear end change, new shaft change to cell tank and wiring will need changed. But if I did this could cut down on my wiring and open space for other stuff. I've removed the rear seats for the build in sound system/power banks, and would like to clear the spare tool/storage areas for the bag systems. But got a backup plan incase of fitment issues.

Updated post with more info. Was going to be reply but thought it would be good to just do it as part of the post.

What heads do you have for the 302 engine? The only exhaust manifolds that can fit the truck are the two OEM types, for the regular 302 Windsor heads, and the later GT40P heads. You cannot use a Cleveland head in the Explorer unless you can get custom headers made for them.

If that 302 block has four bolt mains, I'd sell it to someone who needs it for a serious rpm 302. I'd bet it'd go for over $1000, but I don't know the market for that super rare OEM block.

You will needing to find the front accessories and brackets from any 1996-01 Explorer with the V8. Those will fit the 302 into the engine bay and clear the radiator. But it also will require that Explorer V8 balancer too, which has a 50oz imbalance. That has to match the crank and flexplate imbalance, which means a late model 302 crank and flexplate.

There are way more 5.0 conversions out there then just the 96-01 trucks I have done ttb trucks, explorers and sport tracs and rangers of Many different years

Going to a carb and c4 is do able exhaust
Manifolds and radiator fitment are the big obstacles
Also you would need to convert your efi fuel system to something more tame

What heads do you have for the 302 engine? The only exhaust manifolds that can fit the truck are the two OEM types, for the regular 302 Windsor heads, and the later GT40P heads. You cannot use a Cleveland head in the Explorer unless you can get custom headers made for them.

If that 302 block has four bolt mains, I'd sell it to someone who needs it for a serious rpm 302. I'd bet it'd go for over $1000, but I don't know the market for that super rare OEM block.

You will needing to find the front accessories and brackets from any 1996-01 Explorer with the V8. Those will fit the 302 into the engine bay and clear the radiator. But it also will require that Explorer V8 balancer too, which has a 50oz imbalance. That has to match the crank and flexplate imbalance, which means a late model 302 crank and flexplate.
Just stock atm. But will probably go with a custom set

Are the accessory bolt hole patterns the same on the Cleveland heads? Might be an issue if you are l
Planning explorer accessories.

This reminds me of a time turning wrenches in an Italian car dealership way
back when. I had a built up 360 Duster he had a black newish Ford P.U.
After looking my car over after work one evening, we went over to see his
Pick-Up (yea right). When he opened the bonnet of that black shinny PU
with a big sheepish grin, there sat a big SHOC 427! WOW!!!!
The guys down the street had all kinds of tunnel port stuff too.
All the rare FoMoCo parts I have played with!

Save your Boss or run zoomies out of the hood.

My 68 cougar could use a boss 302 engine. I want to rev to infinity, when I hit the gas the earth's rotation changes.

The Boss 302 was capable of 8000rpm if the intake, camshaft, and carb were upgraded. The stock Cleveland headed engines all had tame dual plane intakes, mild flat tappet cams, rockers limited to under .500" lift, and a decent vacuum secondary carb.

For the Explorer body, no Cleveland head is going to work without serious modification to the accessory system, and I doubt it can fit without moving the radiator forward. The Cleveland heads won't work with any existing manifolds. So changing to Windsor heads is the only reasonable solution. I have owned my share of Cleveland engines and parts, my first car was a 72 Gran Torino that I swapped the 351C-2V for a 4V engine and headers. The 73 Ranchero last is a Q code model, 351C-4V with the C6 trans(rebuilt with less than 3000 miles on it).

I have plans to have an adapter plate to mount the Explorer 302 brackets(with all accessories), onto the Cleveland heads(different bolt patterns). But that requires the one existing reverse rotation water pump, which is the long old style. I have that WP new in a box already, it's 2-3" longer than the Explorer WP. That would place the WP pulley into the radiator in an Explorer.

I wouldn't try the Cleveland heads given those two huge issues.

Here's the Cleveland in my Ranchero, those valve covers are a special look to me, unlike any Windsor VC's.
new 73 Ranchero GT 351-4V engine.jpg

I don't think the Cleveland valve covers look too different than the factory Windsor ones offered years ago. I'll polish those and eventually get them on the engine in the cougar.

16546387962668844081254925709338.jpg

My 68 cougar could use a boss 302 engine. I want to rev to infinity, when I hit the gas the earth's rotation changes.
I have two pairs of Cleveland heads you could build a 302 with, both open chamber and closed. The Boss 302 engine is better for higher rpm, but the late blocks would survive okay if the tune is very good, and the balance is right too. I like those late 60's Cougars, those are more special than the Mustangs IMO.

I don't think the Cleveland valve covers look too different than the factory Windsor ones offered years ago. I'll polish those and eventually get them on the engine in the cougar.

View attachment 430206

Ford did make a couple of Windsor valve covers that kind of mimic the Cleveland covers. Note the top is dead flat, Windsor valve covers all angle down. The FMS VC's for their 347 crate engine had that odd VC on them. I bought two pairs of those, one for my Explorer for the 337 later, and a pair for the 347 going into my Lincoln, because they look like the Cleveland covers from a distance.

So much knowledge my head gonna explode

Well done! Good show

Ford did make a couple of Windsor valve covers that kind of mimic the Cleveland covers. Note the top is dead flat, Windsor valve covers all angle down. The FMS VC's for their 347 crate engine had that odd VC on them. I bought two pairs of those, one for my Explorer for the 337 later, and a pair for the 347 going into my Lincoln, because they look like the Cleveland covers from a distance.
I found those Windsor covers on a 1984 Mustang GT350 that ended up in a junk yard. Nothing was wrong with the car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found those Windsor covers on a 1984 Mustang GT350 that ended up in a junk yard. Nothing was wrong with the car.
Those might clean up well, but that's what bare aluminum does over decades exposed. I have a pair of FMS Cleveland covers similar to my engine above, I got them from Ford in the mid 80's. I think mine say Ford Motorsports and I think to preserve the polished look, you have to wax them basically, often enough.

Back