• Register Today It's free!

5.0l mustang headers

jakemccarthy

Reaction score
City, State
Berwick, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT V8
I know TM's are one of the best out there but I just dont have the money. I know for a fact that my brother had built an explorer back in the day that had mustang long tube headers on it. The only thing is that it was 2WD, I have an AWD, soon to be 4WD. Are there any other headers out there that would work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know TM's are one of the best out there but I just dont have the money. I know for a fact that my brother had built an explorer back in the day that had mustang long tube headers on it. The only thing is that it was 2WD, I have an AWD, soon to be 4WD. Are there any other headers out there that would work?

Maybe you should ask your bro.

I have yet to see anyone on EF use Mustang headers on an Exploder. We always appreciate pioneers and guinea pigs. Feel free to do the honour. :D

Haha, yeah I will. He said that he had to fabricate everything from the headers back. It had true dual Borla 2.5 inch pipes, must have sounded great.

I'm using Mustang unequal-length shorty headers on my 5.0 conversion.

The engine is not in yet, but test fitting them when I was building the engine mounts showed them fitting fine. The only issue is I will have to "trim" the passenger side frame rail just a little to allow the exhaust tube to pass. (No, I'm not the first to have to do this.)

I thought about TMs, but the cost was over double that of the BBKs I have, and I have limited space around the engine anyway, so I really didn't want to fight the long tubes.

Besides, I'm already making 300 HP - how much more do I really need???

I'm using Mustang unequal-length shorty headers on my 5.0 conversion.

The engine is not in yet, but test fitting them when I was building the engine mounts showed them fitting fine. The only issue is I will have to "trim" the passenger side frame rail just a little to allow the exhaust tube to pass. (No, I'm not the first to have to do this.)

I thought about TMs, but the cost was over double that of the BBKs I have, and I have limited space around the engine anyway, so I really didn't want to fight the long tubes.

Besides, I'm already making 300 HP - how much more do I really need???

You are putting a 5.0 into ranger am i correct? Will this work on an explorer is what i want to know? If i have to notch frame i dont care 189.00 for those bbk headers versus almost 800 for tmh no brainer.

maybe this answers my question about the MAC gt-40p headers for a mustang fitting a explorer!!!

maybe this answers my question about the MAC gt-40p headers for a mustang fitting a explorer!!!

Careful from what i am told mustang header have a different ball flange and the stock pipes dont seal right so you have to have new ends on your exhaust that bolt to headers.

Thanks for the tip....im having the exhaust done from the header that i pick all the way back.....so that problem will be dealt with.

You are putting a 5.0 into ranger am i correct? Will this work on an explorer is what i want to know? If i have to notch frame i dont care 189.00 for those bbk headers versus almost 800 for tmh no brainer.

Yes, in a '93 Ranger - frame equivalent to a 1st gen Ex.

I can't say for 2nd gen, but for first gen it will work fine.

Which heads do you have?

Those are for GT-40 "P" heads, not the older, standard heads.

my dad and i put a 351 windsor in a 87 ranger. it was all done very nicely not slapped together. we used the factory 302 headers off of a 91 5 liter mustang by cutting the number 1 primary on the drivers side and rerouting it around the steering arm. it worked rather nicely for many years. now i dont know what year your ex is and im not sure that everything in the ex and ranger are identicle but i do know this works in a ranger. take it for face value.

Will gt-40 headers even bolt up to the gt-40 P heads? The EGR bung isnt really a problem, if I end up with the FMS headers I will have to weld one in as it is.

Just found a set of JBA gt-40p headers for a early mustang.....look like the primarie maybe routed in the right way to clear the steering shaft.......just a thought.....but something to look at

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much are they though? The website I found them on were like 600 bucks. If your willing to spend that much you might as well go torque monster.

Back