gluvsave35

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt v8
ok so i have had my tm headers for a lil while now and well both gaskets blew
and the one side is real loud!

i went to my local speed shop to get some copper gaskets but he dont have a listing!
will the 5.0 mustang gaskets work??

does anybody have a pic of the gasket that came with the tm headers
so i can mayb match it up

thanks for all ur help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Call or message Bob, he will have part numbers, or cross reference numbers. Good luck,

yea ill have to do that

anybody else?

have u ever heard of (this is what the guy told me from the speed shop)

that the reason that the gaskets blow is cus the bolts come loose.
he said that u have to check each bolt everyday for a couple weeks and tightn them if needed and then check like once a month then like every oil change!
have u guys heard this?

You can order gaskets through any auto parts store, just get the ones listed for your truck.

I got FelPro gaskets from NAPA, they are soft lead, worked great. They weren't too expensive either.
felpro 9000

get 'em

about the bolts backing out--yes, they need checking periodically.

I put locktite on mine when I put my new gaskets on- I really think the gaskets that come with the headers are the biggest problem- mine got really brittle and blew out even though the bolts are tight. I haven't had problems since my Felpro gaskets.

Summit has a bolt kit that has keepers that snap on the bolts once tight so they won't back out.

thanks for major help jtsmith and mountaineergreen
when i get to work 2morrow ill call my napa and order those gaskets
as for "Summit has a bolt kit that has keepers that snap on the bolts once tight so they won't back out." have u used them personaly and do u have a part#

thanks again u 2
thats y i love this site
great help
in a quick time!!!!

Those bolt locks I have seen also. They amount to a special bolt with a slot like for a snap ring. The "locks" are collars/snap rings which have a cambered shoulder which fit between the bolt and header. The "locks" protrude(cambered) outward and will not turn, contact a header pipe, thus will not allow the bolt to turn.
They should be helpful if you really have loosening bolts. The real trick is to simply check the bolts often for 2-4 weeks. Settling of the headers and crushing of the gaskets(heat cycles) will thin the gaskets slightly and thus make the bolts need more torque on them. If you keep them tight for long enough for the headers and gaskets to settle, they should never back out. Most quality header bolts come with split-lock washers, which work well. Good luck,

These bolts are nice--you can tighten them with hot headers--

they won't fit in all locations though--get them at autozone. they come with the allen socket

Attachments

• headr bolts.jpg
    headr bolts.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 188

These bolts are nice--you can tighten them with hot headers--

they won't fit in all locations though--get them at autozone. they come with the allen socket

Ditto X2

When I upgrade my gaskets those are the ones Im getting :D :thumbsup:

Those bolt locks I have seen also. They amount to a special bolt with a slot like for a snap ring. The "locks" are collars/snap rings which have a cambered shoulder which fit between the bolt and header. The "locks" protrude(cambered) outward and will not turn, contact a header pipe, thus will not allow the bolt to turn.
They should be helpful if you really have loosening bolts. The real trick is to simply check the bolts often for 2-4 weeks. Settling of the headers and crushing of the gaskets(heat cycles) will thin the gaskets slightly and thus make the bolts need more torque on them. If you keep them tight for long enough for the headers and gaskets to settle, they should never back out. Most quality header bolts come with split-lock washers, which work well. Good luck,

not sure if u have tm headers but if u do u know how hard it is to get on all the bolts on these headers!!
specialy the passenger side

id have to leave the inner fenders out for a couple weeks!!!:D
but its something i got to do cus i HATEEEE that tickin!

not sure if u have tm headers but if u do u know how hard it is to get on all the bolts on these headers!!
specialy the passenger side

id have to leave the inner fenders out for a couple weeks!!!:D
but its something i got to do cus i HATEEEE that tickin!

gluvsave35 do you have a wobble extension? It will help like a third hand--

Supercharger woes continue: Update

X

Back