5.0L V8 AWD ... Noisy Front Diff??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0L V8 AWD ... Noisy Front Diff???

fastcougar

Reaction score
City, State
Kearnysville, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
02' Mountaineer - V8 AWD
Driving the car home from purchasing it two weekends ago, I noticed that the truck's front diff has a low pitched whine coming from it. Is this normal for the 5.0L AWD system? I know it's the diff because when I apply load (lean into the the throttle), the pitch increases. When I let off the throttle and coast, the noise disappears completely.

I haven't checked the fluid level in the diff yet, but I have replaced the driver's side half-axle (started clicking) and when I did, no fluid drianed out upon removing the old half-shaft. I found this rather odd as every half-shaft that I have ever replaced has always leaked somce fluid.

What is the procedure for draining the front diff and refilling BTW? I know where the fill hole is, but do I have to remove the diff cover to drain the diff? It's semi-blocked by the front cross member and would be a PITA, or is there a drain plug that I am missing???

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The front diff needs to be pumped out, unless you want to pull enough stuff off to get the cover off. You may want to replace the transfer case fluid, it could also be the culprit.

Noise/vibration here too.

I just traded my '98 Sport in on a 2000 XLT 5.0 with 43k miles this past weekend. I've noticed a vibration coming from the front that is noticable from 60mph and up. Between 70 -80 mph it increasingly gets louder. I can't really feel it in the steering wheel that much. Going up grade on the highway with power on it's constant, going down grade with little power when the drivetrain coasts a little it will kick in and out. (the vibration). I've been on the highway at speed, put it in neutral to coast and it doesn't make a difference. This is the first time I've experiance the Ford AWD system too. I know my '77 Quadratrac Wagoneer didn't do that!

Is this just the nature of these? I have a 30 day warranty with CarMax and taking it back there to thier service dept. for a couple minor things next week. I'm just trying to get a heads up.

Any ideas? Anyone?

BTW, love the truck!

I'd have then check the front driveshaft, where it meets the transfer case.

My front diff has whined for about 40k. Changed the fluid when I first heard it,but it did nothing. I guess I should really do something about. " did someone say locker" Thank for bringing it to my attention

With me, I say screw personal satisfaction and have a quick lube pump the differential and refill. The local one charged $22. I brought my own Mobil 1. They didn't knock off anything cuz of my own oil, but talk to them and see if they will, unless you're satisfied with conventional Pennzoil gear lube or similar.

I have the same problem on my 99 AWD Mounty. I've raised this same question here several monthes ago. Didn't really get any good answers yet. I think it is the transfer case. But I'm not sure. I've changed fluids in transfer case, and front diff. Didn't help noise. Front diff you either have to break seals and let drain, or pump old fluid out.
Some say it is normal. Others say it shouldn't be making noise. I have a hard time believing that as many Ford AWD's that are out there, it is normal. This low pitched whine is really an irritating noise.
Haven't figured out a way to isolate it yet either, to front diff, or transfer case.
Be interested to see what response you get.

Harold

Mbrooks420 nailed it, it was the front drive shaft. They replaced it, noise/vibration gone. It was the universal joint.

Incidently, the problem on my Mounty is just noise, no vibration at all.

Harold

I have the same noise, but no vibration. I have had it for as long as i can remember and nothing has come of it, no worse or no better. I just keep the radio up and the windows down and don't worry bout it. :p

Feedback on my Mountaineer V8 AWD whining noise under acceleration and on hills. I finally took my Mounty to the Ford dealer, who said noise was coming from front diff, but was not highly unusual for the AWD's.
I decided to change the front diff fluid again. Now I have 66,000 miles. I had just changed it about 55,000 miles with Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90. I decided to pump out and put in Valvoline 80w-90 petroleum based lube. Now it is much quiter. Noise is still there but it is more liveable. For whatever reason the synthetic made it noisy. Just hope it didn't do any damage.
From all I have been able to read, the 75w-90 should be a good sub for the 80w-90. But it was not in my case.
Anyone else had problems like this?
Harold

My X is loud now. It whines quite a bit but I'm used to it I've had 2 explorers nwo and am used to their noises. i have 124,000 miles and plan to have my frint diff pumped at 125K to see if it makes a difference. If not, oh well.

HELP... shaking/vibration front driveshaft

i have a 98 explorer awd 5.0 and my front drive shaft is currently out cause it makes my truck shake and vibrate really really bad, replaced the u-joint but still the same, fluids r both fine to. theres no slop 'up and down' on the t-case or front diff. but grabbing it with my hand and turning it, it moves bout a half inch on the t-case and bout a inch on the front diff. and bout a half inch on the cv joint on the end of the driveshaft? anybody no if thats normal or a solution to my problem??? thanks

i have a 98 explorer awd 5.0 and my front drive shaft is currently out cause it makes my truck shake and vibrate really really bad, replaced the u-joint but still the same, fluids r both fine to. theres no slop 'up and down' on the t-case or front diff. but grabbing it with my hand and turning it, it moves bout a half inch on the t-case and bout a inch on the front diff. and bout a half inch on the cv joint on the end of the driveshaft? anybody no if thats normal or a solution to my problem??? thanks

Uhm, grabbing the flanges?
1/2 inch on the t/case is a little too much. Stretched chain may be the issue with that one.
1 inch on the front diff pinion flange is certainly excessive. I would drop the diff and have a peek inside at the ring and pinion gears.
Lastly, to tell you the truth, I have never had a good front driveshaft out of the AWD in my hand. Always had the bad ones. My un-educated guess is that there should not be a whole lot (if any) rotational play in the driveshaft itself.

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 5.0L with a front end whining very loud. I have changed the front driver's side hub assembly, still whining, then changed the fluids in both the front differential and transfer case, still whining. Thinking about rebuilding the differential...hoping to find a diagram and maybe a how to guide to remove and rebuild the front differential...anyone have anything?

my explorer is making a loud roaring from the front left when i give it gas even off 30-40 is very loud get kind of quieter as i speed up but not much had both bearings in front replaced but still makin the noise front diff had no gear oil so had it filled still loud. Do i just need to re build it? after the bearings the noise is still comin from the front when i turn my wheel strait my right front points to the right a lil could that have somethin to do with it not sure what to do or what to buy next please help thanks.

AWD noise and tire skip

Very tough to find information on the AWD. Plenty available on the 4WD. First several post have said Ford did not have an AWD. Not true, they do. I have one. No controls of any kind in the cab or anywhere. You can't lock it in or set it to low. I have has this loud whine for probably 30K miles. I alos have problems making tight turns. Similar to a 4WD vehicle that has been locked into 4WD. The wheels want to skip and bind in tight turns. I have replaced both front wheel hub assemblies, no change. I finaly turned it over to my mechanic. He has been doing this for 30 years and is having a very difficult time finding any reference material to the AWD. He has replaced some bushings and bearings. No change. His next step is to pull the transfer case and look inside to see what he can find. I will post an update if he can figure it out.

Additional info - I put the 30K on the explorer tolerating the noise from the front end after I exhausted everything I knew to do to try and diagnose and fix the problem. My back up plan was to keep driving it until the source of the noise finaly had a total failure. I would then know what to repair/replace. Surely this thing would fail soon. It almost sounded light bare metal parts rubbing together. 30K miles later and it is still going strong. It runs down the road with no issues. The only two problems are in slow speed tight turns and the annoyng noise/whine.

All v8 gen2 explorers are Awd from the factory.
Info shouldn't be that hard to find.

Have you pulled your front drive shaft and gone for a drive? Make sure you use your parking brake when stopped. I'd be interested to know if the whine Is still there.

As for the noise turning in one direction, have you looked your cv joints? One side might be failing.

Maybe if you check rockauto's on- line catalog,first selecting your make, model, and year you can look up your cv joints under 'drivetrain'.

I'm not sure what else totally you. I'm no mechanic, that's for sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dead thread that had your interest, number: 160,021. :mad::D

Back