• Register Today It's free!

5.0L V8 dual exhaust

os1kne

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I have a 1999 XLT with the 5.0L. I was thinking about getting a Flowmaster dual-in/dual-out muffler (don't remember the exact model) and having dual exhausts with a pipe exiting on the left side of the rear of the vehicle to compliment the factory pipe on the right side.

I went to a local exhaust shop that I've used in the past and the guy there said it wasn't a good idea - due to plastic fuel lines and that if I did duals, I'd need to have them both exit on the right side. Is this true?

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's hard to do and the routing is odd but it's possible, someone else has done it successfully on their 99 V8. It would be very easy if you removed the spare but if you want to keep it you may have to search for a shop that will agree to do it.

Yes, it's very possible...

I just had a custom dual installed last week at Meneki. Brought my own dual in/out magnaflows and tips and they set me up. Came back a few hours later and voila, custom duals running straight out both sides! Haven't noticed any fuel line burnage but if I do, I'm suing!!:fire:

Heres how mine was done. The passenger pipe comes straight out. The driver side pipe comes straight back untill it gets close to the spare tire. It then makes a 90* turn and runs towards the driver side. It then makes another 90* turn after it clears the spare tire and it comes straight out the back. Its run the same way that all the fullsize trucks are. The pipes are not close to any fuel or brake lines and they go around the spare tire just fine. I have a pics link in my sig with some exhaust pics. Check it out.

hey how much did that cost u from mieneke. also how does the dual magnaflow sound ?

The shop that did mine relocated the brake box. Piece of cake since they have a welder. You can bearly see my exhaust in one of my pics in my sig but I should have some better pics up in the next month or so. Definately stick with the "no name" shops. I think that they do better work because that is part of their reputation. If one of the big guys like mineke screws up it doesnt really matter that much to them but the little guys work harder to build up their reputation.

Meineke, Magnaflow, and so on...

Meineke charged 180.
Man, I did so much comparison research before I finally decided to go with the Magnaflows. They sound bad ass, low deep rumble, agressive when accelerating, low interior sound. I was skeptical at first because I'd read that Magnaflows were quiet, but I'm 100% satisfied. My other option was the Flowmaster 50 series, which I'm sure sound great too.

Eric

Back