5.5" Super or 4" Tuff

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Im torn right now between a 5.5" super and a 4" tuff country. Money is the key issue here, and i know the 4 is cheaper by a good deal, however i dont mind paying more for the 5.5 if it will be that much better, and install smoother. What do you guys think, and advice would be great. Also, my uncle is a fabricator/metal worker/mechanic so he can do most of the work for me for very little cash. One last question, im fairly new to wheelin, but what the heck does SOA mean, everyone talks about an SOA lift or something like that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I've heard the order of the lifts for 1st gens as far as strength goes is: Skyjacker, Superlift, and then Rough Coutry and Tuff Country. If you plan on doing any "hardcore" wheeling, get your hands on a Skyjacker class II lift. If not, I'd personally go with the Superlift kit. I've seen many bent/broke brackets for all of the TTB lift kits, but more for the Tuff and Rough Country lifts.

SOA means spring over axle. It's where you convert the leaf springs to go over the rear axle for 5"+ of lift.

You'll actually save money if you go with the Superlift basic kit, since you won't be getting new rear springs.

^^^Plus, you'll have an additional 1.5" of lift (obviously) but you'll also have about 4+ inches of clearance in the rear with the SOA setup instead of the SUA. :thumbsup:

thanks guys, awsome advice. right now im looking at the superlift kit from tyres (www.tyres1.com) for 680.00, it says shocks and pitman arm included, but this price is lower than most places charge for the kit w/o shocks and arm? Am i reading this right?

First two quality choices are Skyjacker or James Duff (not in any order). BUT, they're pricey compared to other lifts.

Between the two you mention, I'd go with Tuff Country based soley on the passenger beam drop bracket. The reason for this is, Tuff country redesigned theirs just like Skyjacker & Duff so it WON"T put a hole in the top of your D35 aluminum diff housing when you stuff the drivers tire in the fender when flexing.

Trailmaster, Superlift, Rough Country, all use a "steel plate" to drop/relocate your stock passenger beam drop bracket (Tuff Country, S/J, Duff, use a completely different design). Because of that plate, rather than a complete beam drop bracket, It WILL & DOES contact the aluminum diff housing. Ask "rino351" about it.

At least Tuff country got the message from lots of Ranger/Explorer owners & did something about it. Trailmaster, Superlift, & Rough Country, evidently don't care. Skyjacker & Duff designed it right the first time.

On the drivers side drop beam, the Skyjacker & Duff brackets are superior in strength to all the others. Skyjackers' bracket is designed with "overkill" but that's a good thing.

I know how money situations go but sometimes it's better to spend more up front the first time then go wheeling & not worry about it.

By the way, on the drivers beam drop bracket (the bracket on the passenger side), I had to weld & gusset it because the "ears" broke off (the part that bolts to the underside of the frame) from wheeling. One of them was a Superlift, the other was a Trailmaster. These are on my wheeling buddys rigs. And yes, they both have holes in their D35 housings from the passenger beam bracket. They both made extended bump stops & epoxied up the holes. However, the drivers side tire does not stuff into the fender now. No upward flex on that corner.

This is what I've experienced over the years with TTB Ranger/Explorer lift kits first hand, It's not "hear say".

If you have to get either Superlift or Tuff country, please go with Tuff Country (your front diff housing will thank you). If you have time to save a little more $$$, go with Skyjacker or Duff.

This is all based on if you wanna wheel it. If it's a pavement princess, you can use any less expensive lift. All it takes is one time off road with a good bounce to punch a hole in the diff housing.

Sorry for babbling on, I'm just trying to save you heartache & spending more money in the future ;) :D

O yeah, I forgot about James Duff. They are definitely high on the list.

didnt know about the hole in the diff problem, can i fix it by adding bump stops? the only problem with james duff, is that for x's they only have 2.5" kits and call me greedy, but thats simply not enough. Id much rather go with the superlift kit, as i have heard many a good thing about them, and other superlift products. Nothing wrong with skyjacker either but again, their kits simply arnt big enough. Also, can i use my current ranchos with a kit or not, id like to avoid getting new shocks because im very happy with these.

I have a superlift 5.5 and I dont have a hole in my front diff. The superlift SOA is also nice because it removes everything from below the rear axle. Ask you uncle to help you do the lift. You will be far better off doing the work yourself.

Skyjacker isn't making anything but the 2" lift for first gen explorers. They killed the 4" & 6" as a kit. You can get a ranger kit & adapt that, or get the pieces. You might find a store that has them in stock still also.
I'd get the superlift. As long as you get the rear SOA brackets welded you shouldn't have any problems.

Jason94sport said:
Skyjacker isn't making anything but the 2" lift for first gen explorers. They killed the 4" & 6" as a kit.

Then get a Ranger front kit & SOA the rear. That's what I did to this EX. But it's a front Duff kit modded to around 4.5".

jason17.jpg

Duff has the 5.5 kit out now, and it looks real solid.

do not get a kit that has the drop plate rather than the whole new bracket.
I have cracked the pumpkin once and in Moab, I punctured a hole in it from that stupidly designed peice

Where can I find the James Duff 5.5" lift your talking about? Thanks.

Jamesduff.com ;)

I am also interested in seeing the duff 5.5" lift for explorers. I looked at their site and didnt see it. All I saw was a pic of a fullsize bronco with the 5.5" prototype.
thanks,
Nick Good

There's a full article in one of the recent Peterson's. It's a badass kit.

j602 said:
It's a badass kit.

It certainly is. I don't know what the Explorer kit costs but the "Full" kit for a Ranger is listed at over $1800.00 but you get a lot with that kit.

alright, i think ive decided on the superlift kit. Ill check the flex and see what it does with the trans case, maybe tweak it a little bit. Im looking at www.tyres1.com for the kit, but the kit with shocks and pitman arm is atleast a hundred cheaper than anyother place without the shocks and arm. How is this possible?? Did anyone else get a kit from there? Also, would i even need shocks i have rancho 5000's, would they work with the kit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, you'll need much longer shocks for the front, but you can keep the stock length for the back with the SOA.

Back