• Register Today It's free!

Tranny help

Big Poppa

Reaction score
City, State
Safety Harbor/ Gainesville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 V8 Limited
Ok, I just bought my '96 Limited V8 2wd It has 135k miles and I have no records, but drives incredibley well (lots of highway miles) I have a shudder when the truck shifts into OD while accelerating. What should I do?

Change tranny filter and fluid
Change filter and synthetic fluid
add additive to current fluid
????

A tranny guy told me I can just add a little posi additive to my fluid and it will stop the shuddering. (stop the clutches in converter from slipping) Any thoughts?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Big Poppa
Change tranny filter and fluid
Change filter and synthetic fluid

sounds good

A tranny guy told me I can just add a little posi additive to my fluid and it will stop the shuddering. (stop the clutches in converter from slipping) Any thoughts?

not sure about that one... sounds good in theory though

The shudder is a common problem in the 4R70W's. One of the things people upgrade in pre 98 4R70W's is the Mechanical diode

Does the shudder hint at bigger problems? Is the diode inside the tranny?
What should I do now?

Big Poppa,
The 4R70W shudder problem caused by the TORQUE CONVERTER in 3rd or 4th gear. There are quite a few "TSB's" out there concerning this problem. The Torque converter shudder is usually a result of Automatic Transmission Fluid Breakdown. (TSB 97-10-6 , TSB TSB-98-08-07, TSB-96-25-17 , TSB-95-23-04 ) (just to name a few TSB's. The common procedure for fixing is to drain every last bit of ATF from your trans, torque converter, and cooling lines, and replace with the prescribed ATF.

Mechanical diode conversion kit replaces your roller clutch with the much stronger mechanical diode. This is a weak point on early pre 1999 AODE/4R70W transmissions. The Mechanical Diode eliminates durability concerns for the intermediate (second gear) one-way clutch.

Hope this helps.

Synthetic or regular fluid -anyone?

Back