• Register Today It's free!

510 Compass Resistor Replacement

J.J. Bishop

Reaction score
City, State
Johns Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac XLT
My compass and thermometer display recently went out for the second time, and as I took it apart expecting to only have to do a minor soldering job, I found that the entire resistor was missing. Does anyone have a specific parts # or name for these resistors? Or a link to where I could buy one?

Thanks,
J.J.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see an IMG tag but no picture. I don't know the resistor value but might be able to figure it out if I had good pictures of the circuit and/or a Ford part # that could lead to some online.

Hmm, okay I looked around and now understand the significance of that "510" in your title. That means it's a 51 ohm resistor. The wattage will be based on the package size so you should measure the length and width of those remaining with a caliper (or best guess with a ruler) then you can take that and input it at an electronics supplier site like www.digikey.com

For example on the following link, if you measured the resistor package size to be 6.4mm long by 3.2mm wide, that would be a "Package / Case" size of 6432 metric. If none of the sizes offered are as big as your original then you'll need to backtrack and pick some other resistor values very close to 51ohms, pick a few of them THEN pick the right case size, THEN pick the value closest to 51 ohms. I hope I'm making this part of the part selection clear. If you provide the dimensions then I can just look that up for you.

Chip Resistor - Surface Mount | DigiKey

Edit: lol, now my post has an "IMG" tag on it too and I didn't try to post any pictures, just the digikey link which it auto-linkified for me. New site bug?

Edit 2: Now I am editing to add an image that wasn't there previously when the phantom IMG tag first appeared, AFAICT this is the module and resistor or the one next to it:

picture.jpg
. I don't know what this resistor value is but if I knew more about the circuit, possibly through good pictures, I might be able to figure it it out, or if you have a Ford part # for that and there are decent pics of it online.

I see an IMG tag but no picture. I don't know the resistor value but might be able to figure it out if I had good pictures of the circuit and/or a Ford part # that could lead to some online.

Hmm, okay I looked around and now understand the significance of that "510" in your title. That means it's a 51 ohm resistor. The wattage will be based on the package size so you should measure the length and width of those remaining with a caliper (or best guess with a ruler) then you can take that and input it at an electronics supplier site like www.digikey.com I don't know what this resistor value is but if I knew more about the circuit, possibly through good pictures, I might be able to figure it it out, or if you have a Ford part # for that and there are decent pics of it online.
Awesome thank you!

I later added more to my last post. Also if a digikey search turns up two different offerings in the same package size but one rated at a little higher wattage, pick the one with higher wattage since heat seems to be what causes those solder joints to fail.

Also Digikey is probably the cheapest (short of a month wait for something from China on ebay) because for something this small they let you pick to ship it $2-ish via USPS.

Hmm, okay I looked around and now understand the significance of that "510" in your title. That means it's a 51 ohm resistor. The wattage will be based on the package size so you should measure the length and width of those remaining with a caliper (or best guess with a ruler) then you can take that and input it at an electronics supplier site like www.digikey.com

For example on the following link, if you measured the resistor package size to be 6.4mm long by 3.2mm wide, that would be a "Package / Case" size of 6432 metric. If none of the sizes offered are as big as your original then you'll need to backtrack and pick some other resistor values very close to 51ohms, pick a few of them THEN pick the right case size, THEN pick the value closest to 51 ohms. I hope I'm making this part of the part selection clear. If you provide the dimensions then I can just look that up for you.

Chip Resistor - Surface Mount | DigiKey

picture.jpg
 # for that and there are decent pics of it online.jpg
The dimensions I measured are ~~ 7x4mm

Hmm, those are metal film resistors but the only metal film I see on Digikey that's a close match, is an outrageous $16.
Y116950R0000B9R Vishay Foil Resistors (Division of Vishay Precision Group) | Resistors | DigiKey

For that reason I would either switch to searching on Mouser (et al) or just switch to a wirewound resistor instead which has the added benefit of significantly higher power handling - "IF" the taller package size will fit once the circuit board is back in? The following is almost 4mm tall, if that'll fit then that's what I'd try:
SMW247RJT TE Connectivity Passive Product | Resistors | DigiKey

I checked www.mouser.com too but they don't have any metal film that are both near 7mmx4mm and near 51 ohms, otherwise about the same as at Digikey.

Back