5R55E lost all gears, no D, no R, no 1 and 2 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E lost all gears, no D, no R, no 1 and 2

@anderson83
Most likely, yes. The mis-aligned flats on the hub are forced against the pump drive gear with sufficient force to break the gear, as the transmission to engine bolts are tightened. This is why it is good insurance to make sure the transmission bell housing mates flat against the engine by moviong the two together by hand force only. Then tighten bolts. imp
Thank you! After install transmission to the car I unsubscribe!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good evening, comrades! Replaced the pump gear, the linear pressure became normal, the 4th and 5th gears disappeared, all other transmissions are working normally. Issued error P0734. Where to begin? Thank you in advance!

Good evening, comrades! Replaced the pump gear, the linear pressure became normal, the 4th and 5th gears disappeared, all other transmissions are working normally. Issued error P0734. Where to begin? Thank you in advance!
@anderson83
(0734 indicates "Incorrect Gear Ratio 4th. Gear". This would mean slippage is detected between the transmission shafts which are normally "locked together" in 4th. gear. No Bands are applied in 4th. gear, thus rule out Band trouble. In "D" with OD ON (switch not depresssed on shift lever), 4th gear calls for Forward Clutch and Direct Clutch both ON. Either may be slipping. In "D" with OD OFF, all three clutches, including the third, the Coast Clutch are ON. Thus check 4th. gear with both OD ON and OD OFF. Watch tachometer to determine when shifting brings in 4th. gear. First visible rpm drop is 1 to 2, second 2 to 3, 3rd. would be entering 4th. gear. If tach. speeds up, slippage is occurring. If 4th. gear feels normal with OD OFF, Coast Clutch is OK. One of the others is slipping.

If 5th. gear is also slipping, possible OD Band trouble, in addition to clutch slippage. Forward and Direct Clutches are also both engaged in 5th. gear.

Disassembly is needed. imp

@anderson83
(0734 indicates "Incorrect Gear Ratio 4th. Gear". This would mean slippage is detected between the transmission shafts which are normally "locked together" in 4th. gear. No Bands are applied in 4th. gear, thus rule out Band trouble. In "D" with OD ON (switch not depresssed on shift lever), 4th gear calls for Forward Clutch and Direct Clutch both ON. Either may be slipping. In "D" with OD OFF, all three clutches, including the third, the Coast Clutch are ON. Thus check 4th. gear with both OD ON and OD OFF. Watch tachometer to determine when shifting brings in 4th. gear. First visible rpm drop is 1 to 2, second 2 to 3, 3rd. would be entering 4th. gear. If tach. speeds up, slippage is occurring. If 4th. gear feels normal with OD OFF, Coast Clutch is OK. One of the others is slipping.

If 5th. gear is also slipping, possible OD Band trouble, in addition to clutch slippage. Forward and Direct Clutches are also both engaged in 5th. gear.

Disassembly is needed. imp
Thank you very much!

Good afternoon! This can be caused by installing the Superior Shift Kit? Since I still changed the springs in the Direct Clutch and the spring on the servo piston. Can this also be a problem associated with valve body? Thank you in advance!

Good evening! According to information from Sonnax website: the reason for the lack of the fourth gear can be the reinforced spring of the intermediate servo piston, since I installed the reinforced spring from the Superior, that is, as I understood, that the pressure is not enough for the intermediate servo piston to be able to press the brake band. In the iol pan of metal particles or other foreign objects was not, the oil is clean, not burning, without smell. I took off the valve body: the upper gasket near the filter mounting bolt is slightly torn, about 2-3 millimeters. Next, I will disassemble the valve body. I would like to understand: if the clutch were broken, then errors in the automatic transmission would be more (except P0734) and metal and plastic particles were present in the iol pan? Also interesting, solenoid, pressure regulator, valve body gasket can be the cause?

Good evening! According to information from Sonnax website: the reason for the lack of the fourth gear can be the reinforced spring of the intermediate servo piston, since I installed the reinforced spring from the Superior, that is, as I understood, that the pressure is not enough for the intermediate servo piston to be able to press the brake band. In the iol pan of metal particles or other foreign objects was not, the oil is clean, not burning, without smell. I took off the valve body: the upper gasket near the filter mounting bolt is slightly torn, about 2-3 millimeters. Next, I will disassemble the valve body. I would like to understand: if the clutch were broken, then errors in the automatic transmission would be more (except P0734) and metal and plastic particles were present in the iol pan? Also interesting, solenoid, pressure regulator, valve body gasket can be the cause?
@anderson83
The clutches rarely break. Rather they wear away to the point where slippage occurs. Clutch wear produces only very fine dust which sometimes may appear as a cloudiness in the oil. All those can cause this trouble. Ford troubleshooting includes "Valve Body Bolts too tight or too loose" often, so that must be fairly common. imp

@anderson83
The clutches rarely break. Rather they wear away to the point where slippage occurs. Clutch wear produces only very fine dust which sometimes may appear as a cloudiness in the oil. All those can cause this trouble. Ford troubleshooting includes "Valve Body Bolts too tight or too loose" often, so that must be fairly common. imp
Thank you! But friction, steel wheels and even bushings are new. Today I will try to make new gaskets of the valve body, and also I will disassemble the valve body.

Good afternoon! I apologize for not responding for a long time, just now I finished the car as I was waiting for fabrication the gaskets of valve body (the gage by 0,5 mm). The problem with the 4th and 5th gear is solved: jammed the plunger of TCC regulator/coast clutch and the spring was broken EPC boost/forward modulator, red highlighted in the diagram. I replaced the springs and cleaned the channels of valve body and polished the plunger. Now all the gears worked as expected. But the sound from under oil pan of a transmission, as bud-there is a little electric torch, and there were also kicks when switching from the 3rd to the 4th, from the 4th to the 5th gear. The ATF is clean, the level is normal.

4R44E 4R55E 5R55E valve body_broken spring and plug.jpg

Back