• Register Today It's free!

5r55e rebuild quote

rayprice

Reaction score
City, State
oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
I dropped my explorer off at the tranny shop. He says by my explanation it needs a complete rebuild and he does not need to test it. Does that sound right?

The transmission works OK for about 30 seconds then starts to slip, then does not work at all after a few seconds. You then let the car sit for about 1 minute then you can drive it again and the cycle repeats. It seems to work through the gears OK except for a little extended slip between 2 and 3. OD light is flashing.

Should I go somewhere else?

Your description of the problem tells me from my experience that the transmission has some big issues and most likely will need to be rebuilt.

It sounds like the filter may be clogged, when its running the filter is picking up small debris and completely clogs, this is when it quits pulling. Let it sit and some of the debris flows back out and it starts all over again.

The problem is not the clogged filter but what it is clogged with, transmission pieces.

I will admit that sometimes customers will bring the car to me to check, I am in it for just a second to know its toast. Thats because I have been there done that and already know the failure. I will pull the car into the shop and open the hood and poke around just to kill some time because I know it doesn't look good to quickly call it broke, and it avoids what you are feeling with your situation.

Thank you for your response. I feel better about making the rebuild decision.

Back