5r55e rebuild

Grego50

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger 4x4
Hello all,
I am working on rebuilding my 2000 5r55e transmission after a flashing overdrive light and loosing forward gears. A p0731 code was pulled and I had dark burned smelling transmission fluid. 172,000 on the clock.
Tearing down the transmission I discovered that my forward clutches we're cooked. Ordered up a master rebuild kit and I am replaceing all clutches, steels, seals, bushings and a new torque converter. Most hard parts looked to be in good shape except for the forward input shell which had quite a bit of ware, which I replaced. Also ordered up a remanufactued sonnax valve body, since I could only remove half the valves for cleaning due to ware in the unit.
I am getting ready to reinstall the fluid pump and I am looking at the new front pump support seal ring that came in my kit. It is a hard nylon seal that does not stretch very much. My question is what is the correct procedure for instaling this seal?
I've spent some time researching this forum but have not found my answer.
Thanks for everyone's time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did I post this in the wrong forum, does everyone resuse there old ones?
Thanks anyway

I would use the solid one, start one end and work it around until it is in the groove.

Hello, and thanks for the reply JK080.
I've been surfing around and came across the tsb from ford concerning the support seal issues in the mid 90's. Transtec builds and sells the part out of material they call Quantum.
I've read of guys soaking the ring in hot water to make it more plyable, than tightening a hose clamp around the seal once it is Instaled to resize. I was just going to call Transtec in the morning to see what they recommend. As always, I'm probably just looking to much into this issue. Just hate doing things twice.
Thanks again!

Well I guess I will have to wait alittle longer to finish up my project. My remanufactured valve body showed up on my porch with the shipping box busted open. Contents damaged.
Going back.

Back