5R55E trans rebuild project

Valas1969

learning to be expert
Reaction score
City, State
McDonald, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer xlt 02 ST
I am thinking of doing a trans rebuild on my busted rebuilt 2002 Sport Trac. I am just looking for input on what parts I should get to make it more heavy duty and less likely to break down again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ahead of time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't really recommend heavy duty parts for this transmission, just do a thorough job and replace all the weak spots, like all three bands, servos, input sprag and any parts that look worn or have damage. Order your parts after you have torn down the transmission so you can get everything the first time.

The valve body needs to be cleaned well and inspected for wear and valve issues. Sonnax makes a good kit for this, it address things like weak springs and leaking circuits. Here is a link to their Zip Kit.

Replace the converter and clean out the cooler system before installation.

Ok.
A. Why do you not recommend "heavy duty" parts?
B. Instead of flushing cooling system, would it be better to get a large trans cooler?
C. What manufacturer's rebuild kit would you recommend?
I was going to buy stage 3 or 4 rebuild kit but I'm not sure what that means exactly. Could you please educate me in the different stages mean? Would I be better off getting a rebuilt valve body?

You can have a good reliable transmission without having to get heavy duty parts. I am not sure if I really know of any heavy duty parts other than some performance clutch packs and bands with "better" linings.

You could bypass the cooler in the radiator if needed, having a external cooler after the one in radiator will have better results, so try to use it and you could flush it with a cleaner and some compressed air.

I use Transtar mostly, I believe its a TransTec kit with Raybestos clutches. You can also get a valve body from VBX through them. Replacing the valve body for your project would be a big help, it will come with all the problem areas addresses and tested, you just have to bolt it on.

I am not familiar with the different "stage" kits. Companies put together kits with other components that you might need like the bands and bushings, ect. The more stuff the kit has the higher the stage, I guess. I just use a kit with clutches and buy parts as needed. I would tear it down, get a good look at everything and order parts then. Maybe someones stage kit will have all you need and you could just get that.

Thank you for the info. I will take your advice. It will be a while before this project will take place because the weather is cold as beck right now here in Pennsylvania and all I have is a carport to work in with no heat.

James have you made any transmission videos

Back