• Register Today It's free!

5R55E Transmission Rebuild Tools

elittleton73

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Could anyone tell me what tools are required to rebuild the 5R55E transmission? According to the manual, several specialty tools are required, but according to some people I've spoken with, most of these tools are not necessary. One can use other tools to get the job done.

If anyone who has done this can enlightenment me on how they did it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, does anyone know if these tools can be rented.

One other quick question. Is a transmission jack required to remove the transmission or can another jack be used to do the job?

There is an adapter for a regular floor jack, but a special floor jack which looks like a scissor jack is easier to maneuver, and adjust. It's only a little more money than the price of an adapter. Certain tools like a torque wrench, and a pump alignment tool are necessary. Specialty seal drivers, removers, and seal alignment tools are nice to have, but are not absolutely necessary. You could improvise. If you want to get these tools, check EBay for the Rotunda sets in the red cases. Glacier991 loans these tools with a deposit.

Deja Vu. I think he didn't like the answer.

I would recommend a ATSG manual to start with.-j

Back