• Register Today It's free!

5r55s rebuild

lynnboy021

Reaction score
City, State
billerica ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer
Thinking about rebuilding my trans. Would you guys install a new TC or just reuse the old one?

Also does anyone happen to have the servo bore repair kit that I can borrow? I will pay shipping both ways...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never reuse a converter period. As far as tooling for the bores you would be lucky to find someone willing to loan that out as it is expensive and easily damaged if not familiar with the process. Most local shops have the ability to perform the repair. I charge $100 for a carry in case.
Brad

Never reuse a converter period. As far as tooling for the bores you would be lucky to find someone willing to loan that out as it is expensive and easily damaged if not familiar with the process. Most local shops have the ability to perform the repair. I charge $100 for a carry in case.
Brad

Do you think I will need a shift kit if I am doing a complete rebuild?

I can give you a list of what I replace in a normal overhaul.
Master kit, all 3 bands, both servo pistons, solenoid pack, filter, converter, line pressure relief valve. And bush the bores.
Brad

I can give you a list of what I replace in a normal overhaul.
Master kit, all 3 bands, both servo pistons, solenoid pack, filter, converter, line pressure relief valve. And bush the bores.
Brad

That's what I am doing also... pressure relief valve is the valve in the pump right?

Yes, it’s in the pump.

A1A26BB8-8E6E-45B6-B329-C0F48F9C3393.jpeg

No, loctite #609 or #680 retaining compound.
Brad

I like the superior brand shift kit over the others. They have outline some lube mods to make for the overdrive section. as well as some good info on blue printing the trans. It cost a little more , but I feel that it is worth it. otherwise ditto what Transman304 said.

No, loctite #609 or #680 retaining compound.
Brad

How do you remove the gasket from the valve body plate? I seen people boil the plate and the gasket comes right off in one piece... I am just afraid if I boil the plate then it will start to rust...

You buy a new plate. Or reuse the original. So much time to remove

You buy a new plate. Or reuse the original. So much time to remove

Sorry hopefully last question... I bought the servo bore kit and in the kit it came with the old style brass sleeve without the hole so should I buy the sleeves with the hole or just install the sleeves then drill a hole? Thanks

Either work the same, just one step less on drilled ones.
Brad

Yes it matters, read the instructions for installation of bushings.

Yes it matters, read the instructions for installation of bushings.

3 questions, 1. Is it ok to use brake cleaner inside the transmission and to clean the hard parts? 2. The master rebuild kit I bought only came with the pump bushing should i just replace all the bushings or no need? 3. How do you check your clutch pack clearance? Air, feeler gauge or a dial? Thank you so much for your help...

Brake clean is used in a lot of shops and have great results. I use it sparingly when needed. You will get different opinions on the pump bushing replacement. I have always put a new bushing in all overhauls for the past 25+ years with no issues that I was made aware of. Check the fit of the direct drum to center support for bushing wear. I use all of the listed for checking pack clearance just find what works on the drums the best. Don’t get hung up on trying to reach the specs for each pack. A rule of thumb is .008-.010 per friction in the drum. Say you have 5 frictions in the forward drum .040-.050 is good. These units are not fussy like some other transmissions that tracks the time it takes to apply a pack and then time another pack as it is released so there is no binding feeling.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I think I have a small problem... the 2-3 band is completely gone and the drum has deep scratches on one side of the drum... I think my best bet is to replace the drum? Can I use a used 5r55s drum from ebay? If yes does it matter if it comes from a mustang or truck???

Back