5R55S/W Rebuild/Enhancements | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55S/W Rebuild/Enhancements

Since by an order delivery error I now have a 8 bolt crankshaft instead of the 6 bolt one I ordered I've started searching for a suitable flexplate. I asked Performance Automatic if their P/N PAX28111 would be compatible with my new crank and my 2003 Explorer stock 8 bolt torque converter and 4 bolt to 8 bolt adapter. I was told I would have to purchase the 3 valve modular Ford to 5R55S conversion kit (P/N PA26748-58 shown in my previous post 7) that lists for $860 but JEGS sells for $623.

My 2003 Explorer shop manual shows two different torque converter configurations. There's a 4 bolt torque converter that fastens directly to the flexplate. There's also an 8 bolt torque converter that fastens to an adapter that has 4 bolts to fasten to the flexplate. I'm wondering if JEGS' P/N 601094 might be suitable. It's for an 8 bolt crank flange and a 4 bolt torque converter/adapter. It has an 11.5 inch bolt pattern and is for an internally balanced 4.6L.
JEGS601094.jpg

I may wait until I remove the engine from the Explorer before ordering a flexplate. That way I'll know for sure what it has to mate with.

thanks so much for all this great info...i recently posted a question for my 5r55w. im hoping a get started with mine soon.

Back