• Register Today It's free!

5R55W FIX IT 4 GOOD! (help)

cjoslim

Reaction score
City, State
San Juan P.R.
Year, Model & Trim Level
Merc Mount V8 2WD yr02
:navajo:Hey guys register since ice but allways @ other Ford Forums, but where I really needed to be is here.. lol happends...!
Wel Anyway..

i Got a 02 Merc Mountaineer with 127K on it .. to tell the truth never did any maintainance to it MEANING never changed the oil... (Mercon V)
I'm having Trouble because it works great on 1st, 2cd & 3rd Gear but wont go in R,everse or D,rive... It Applys the shift but it slips .... if you put it in 3rd gear it just goes to 3rd gear doesnt go thru 1 and 2 (use dto be like that before having this issue) i was planning on taking it down and repair it... I mean... I never maintained it and it gaved me 127K but i've seen so many 5r55W tranny breaking and ppl so mad @ this trannny know ppl around me saying things about a car with my same Transmission, and now its my turn.....

I dont have a nice Fainance state for thesse Issues and I was planning on doing it My Self onless I Find some 1 that "DO" this Transsmission meaning upgrading it.
Or fixing it 4 good meaning i can use it regardless (LIKE ANY CAR) and have 6, 7, 8 yrs of proud owning..., scared of investing money and have the same Crapy delicate...fragile....powerless 5r55w.....

and i'm i dotn have knowlage @ fords love them couse i like a car that is cheap in parts and reliable but.. never thought cheap was going to become TRanny breaking lovers..model... had pick up trucks working great (ford) but SUV???????????? awww......

looking for any Advice
Meaning: any cheap Fix or if i;m going to invest its going to be worth it with ?? something i wish to know that i dont know lol THX 4 any pst guys!:navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

most common problems are the valve body, happens over 60k+, then servo bores wear out sometime there after. I think the VB is doable while the tran is in the truck, servo bores if i'm not mistaken the whole thing needs to come apart, but its fixable.

Good news is mine went at 63k, but to be honest i'm hard on the thing, and after the rebuild its better than new. I also have a good guy that does rebuilding. Note these are the same trans that they use in the Mustang, supposedly holds over 400hp when done right.

I think the VB is doable while the tran is in the truck
what u meant?

?????????????????????

Got it Fixed by some Place that wa ssopouse ot be good called" Predator"
but it has problems when WOT it forgets when to change from 1st to 2cd gear..
and sucks...
i'm just planning to put a Mustang's Manual tranny (aka: buying a wrecked mustang and get the clutch system and tranny onto my Merc.
POSSIBLE?

and then try to make a cummin 4BT swap

Back