5R55W lost 5th gear and O/D Light Blinking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W lost 5th gear and O/D Light Blinking

chadperkins

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer XLT 4X4
2003 Explorer
4X4
I think I have the 5R55W transmission without the dipstick

I was returning from Florida a few weeks ago and the transmission would not shift into overdrive. I heard a faint sound like a zing or maybe a loss of pressure. I am not sure if the sound was related since I was half a sleep and we were doing 70 mph. The O/D light started blinking. We pulled over immediately and cut off O/D we drove home in 4th gear and did not have any other problems.
Now going from 1st to 2nd does not happen without letting off the gas. it shifts through all other gears fine but does not go into O/D. If you keep on the gas the rpm's get high and O/D light begins to blink. If you let off the gas and it shifts to 2nd then there is no problem as long as O/D is off. If the O/D/ is not off the blinking begins once it tries to shift into 5th. The shop said $1800. So I said I will do it my self.
I now have the exhaust off the cross member off. After research on here, here is what I have:

No extra parts in the pan.

checked O/D band and it tightens up with no problems. I have also taken the solenoid for the O/D on the other side of the transmission and it looks to be in good shape. no cracks and bore hole appears to have almost no wear.
intermediate band is in tact. Solenoid is still in one piece but looks worn so I am going to replace it, but it is not the problem since it is still in one piece.
Servo pack is out but I have not tested it with a volt/oam meter. I hope this is my problem.

I have not taken down the valve body but it looks like the gasket is in one piece still all the way around. (judging by the edge that sticks out).

I really baby this truck so I am surprised to have any problems.

Glacier and BrooklinBay I hope yall have the answer.

Thanks for reading

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I wanted to correct the terminology being used. The servos are on the side of the transmission, and the solenoid block is on the bottom of the transmission. The flashing O/D light indicates that there is a stored code. Find out what the code number is, and post it here.

I did not get the codes before disconnecting the battery.

I have it apart now and really dont want to do this again. I have the solenoid block off and need to test it per the instructions I have found on here. I am hoping that this is it. the truck has 150,000 miles and has never had a problem. From what I have seen these blocks have problems as little as 50,000 miles. I had the transmission serviced at 100,000 and there were no problems. Can you recommend a place to get the solenoid block from?
Thanks Chad

Is that the wiring harness that connects to the solenoid block? where should I check it? What are the chances that the solenoid block is bad given that band is in tact and the shifter servos are ok?
Thanks for your help Chad

I have a new block for sale. PM me for details.

I checked the block and everything checks out for ohms except the temp sensor. It looks like that one is dead. I hope I did not burn up the transmission. I dont think it is since I have only done normal highway driving.

Glacier how do you do a PM?

Is it possible for things to check out for ohms but still not work?

Is there a way to test this block to see if it works?
Chad

Glacier I sent you a PM did you get it?
Chad

Update:
I received a new solenoid block and installed it.
While I was into all of this, here is what I did. I removed the exhaust and checked the servos. Both looked Ok also the bore holes looked to already have brass sleeves in them. I bought this in late 2002 from the dealer so they must be factory installed. I put them back adjusted the band so I know it is not broke. Also there were no extra parts in the pan when I removed it. Installed the new solenoid block and put it all back together. I still have the same issue. The CEL started blinking as well as the OD light so I went straight to Advance Auto Parts. The code is P0775 Pressure Control Solenoid B Circuit Malfunction. While the pan was down I did take the valve body down to check the gasket. It was OK so I re-installed it. The only thing I can think of is that there is a problem in the valve body. Any Ideas?

double check it

Now going from 1st to 2nd does not happen without letting off the gas. it shifts through all other gears fine but does not go into O/D. If you keep on the gas the rpm's get high and O/D light begins to blink. If you let off the gas and it shifts to 2nd then there is no problem as long as O/D is off.

direct from Brian's frankentranny: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146953
post #4
The 5th gear of the 5R is achieved by overdriving first gear (for an extra gear between 1st and 2nd), which means that the overdrive band is applied in 2nd and 5th gears in the 5R.

Bands are adjusted, solenoid pack replaced, OD servo is ok = external harness issue/electrical issue or less likely, a valve body issue.

very interesting that the servo bores have a brass insert ....... are you certain? did it look like the photo below ....minus the steel pin.

Attachments

• servobore bushing installed.gif
    servobore bushing installed.gif
    49.1 KB · Views: 4,232

The bores did not look like the above picture. They did not have the outer ring that is so visible next to the steel rod. I actually had to look twice to see it because I was just looking at the edge of the insert (side profile looking dons the bore). Like looking straight down a pipe. I still think this is my problem. And I think I have found a new solution. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300393078419 check out this site. I just spoke to the guy and I will be ordering some soon to see if this fixes this problem.
Chad

It looks like a good idea, but if the bores are very worn, I doubt that it will seal properly since they are irregular. It would be good to install the servos with this mod before the case gets damaged. He should contact Sonnax or Servo Bore and see if they will market it for him. Did he send you a PDF?

I agree - that is an interesting "fix". sweet if it is a long term fix.

My concern would be the o-ring passing by the egde damage in the bore by the piston. (see stolen photo from a previous BrooklynBay post)
I did not read in the ebay listing, about any cleanup of the bore prior to the new modified piston install.
He has 100% feedback, but none seem to be related to the piston modification.

A second thought and on a positive note, It does look like the o-rings are placed properly, in that the o-ring travel path would not slide past the supply hole in the the bore..... causing premature o-ring wear.

I do not think the servo travel is long enough anyway, for the cutaway in the piston pin to even move past the supply hole.

If you decide to go the servo bore way, I still have my master kit here for sale: http://www.northlandtransmission.com/servobore/5rw.asp

The kit has one set of bushings left (more can be ordered for additional trans cases) and all components are in stellar shape..
shipped for $225.

sorry for the garage sale of my stuff in your thread ;)

Attachments

• a4ld_pinwear_edit.jpg
    a4ld_pinwear_edit.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 4,061
  • 5rw_kit.jpg
    5rw_kit.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 3,315

The bores did not look like the above picture. They did not have the outer ring that is so visible next to the steel rod. I actually had to look twice to see it because I was just looking at the edge of the insert (side profile looking dons the bore). Like looking straight down a pipe. I still think this is my problem. And I think I have found a new solution. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300393078419 check out this site. I just spoke to the guy and I will be ordering some soon to see if this fixes this problem.
Chad

Hello Chadperkins,

Did you buy the kit in ebay? If so, was that the fix for your problem?

Thanks.

Same problem...

Hello all. Having the same problem just recently with my 02 X XLT 4.0. In 1st gear have to let off throttle to shift to 2nd and OD not engaging with light blinking. Now is this a problem that slowly comes on? Reason I ask is it started like a light switch on the highway and has been this way for a week now. Literally 2 weeks ago I was pulling our 3500lb boat up and down grades as i have been the past few years (i baby it and only tow it 15 miles one way)I am no transmission know it all and dont really know what way to turn. Wife and i are heading to town and will get the code read when we ae there. I have also been talking with this fella on eBay but want to fix it right the first time no matter what the cost. It is our family vehicle and needs to be reliable. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Jay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SIMILAR PROBLEM
Hi guys...I´m from Mexico and the English is not my own language, so I will try to do my best to explain the problem on my 05 XLT explorer with 5r55s tranny. I´m not a mechanic, just I´m who can explain a little bit in English what´s happening on my truck...

When the car is running at 45 or 50 mph and the 5th gear need to be engaged, that never happens and the OD light begins to flashing, So I visit the transmissions shop and the mechanic find some codes and decided to take off the tranny.

First: He changed for a new converter, new solenoid block, new shift kit, new servos and bore rimming job, new bands, deep visual inspection for broken or bad components, practically everything new and the problem still there....the first, second third and fourth gear works perfect, the fifth gear never engage and O/D light begin to flashing after 2 or 3 minutes at 2K rpms continuous. I decided to use the car only on very slow speeds and waiting to get another used transmission...finally I got a good used transmission without any mark of fatigue or fluid liking, etc...But the problem continues.

The computer´s diagnostic shows a ground circuit fail when the pressure "C" solenoid need to be activated by the TCM, all the wiring was checked and there is no visual fatigue or wear on any wire from the PCM all the way to the solenoid block´s connector. We tried with a different TCM module and the problem is exactly the same. (short circuit on ground). We checked the 4x4 module and harness and all is fine...

Did you hear about same problem and any solution?
Hope I can find any explanation and help. I will be ready to respond any other information and I appreciate your assistance....Thank you and I´m sorry again for my bad English.

Back