5R55W- May or may not have a problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W- May or may not have a problem

eddie95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.8 AWD
I have a 2003 Explorer AWD v8 that I bought a few months ago. Generally, it shifts great and is very firm but smooth without jerking the vehicle.

However, I have noticed that when I am accelerating up hill or starting off on flat ground and give it medium throttle (2,500 to 3,200 rpm) and let completely of the throttle quickly (sidestep it) there will be a slight "thud" and then the transmission shifts.

You can feel the vehicle shift, and there is a slight jerk forward, but its only marginally more than when it up shifts normally.

Is this normal or do I have a problem?

check the trans fluid level first. Could be your t-case or your driveshaft. Maybe even the rear end. I'm no expert though, those are my thoughts.

Thanks for the reply. This was one of the genius ford designs where there isn't a dipstick to check the fluid in the trans, and there are no evidence of any leaks so I'm fairly sure the level would be fine.Diff and drive shaft are fine too.

I played around with how I was driving today, and I decided that as long as I lift my foot off the gas instead of sidestepping it allowing it to spring up quickly its fine.

Based on today, I'll bet its just how I'm driving it. I'm a tall guy and for some reason the most comfortable spot for my foot to be on the gas pedal is right at the bottom edge. So, thats why I tend to always let it spring up quick (since i have very little of my shoe on the pedal, I just slide it off and then apply the brake). I guess the moral of the story for me is that there is more gas pedal positions than on and off lol:D

haha, make sense. Wouldn't hurt to poke around and se e if the driveshafts are loose. Just a dumb tip. :)

Back