6x8's converted into 5.25 + tweeter question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6x8's converted into 5.25 + tweeter question

rokr1292

Reaction score
City, State
richardsville va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac
After doing some searching, I noticed that for about the same price as or slightly less than replacing my sport tracs 4 6x8's, I could use an adapter plate to fit a 5.25" speaker and a tweeter. I haven't decided yet, but I have some questions.
Mainly:
A: is there going to be much of a difference in sound? (Positive or negative as compared to new 6x8s)
B: how would one wire up the two speakers to a harness to plug into the factory connector?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A: is there going to be much of a difference in sound? (Positive or negative as compared to new 6x8s)
B: how would one wire up the two speakers to a harness to plug into the factory connector?

A. Well if you're upgrading from stock speakers to anything aftermarket, just about everything/anything will sound better. I prefer a 5.25" and Tweeter though versus a 6x8.

B. Usually you have a crossover which will split the frequencies of the audio. You just connect your speaker wire from the head unit (the wire in the door) to the input of the crossover, then you connect your tweeter and 5.25" speaker (both have their own connections) to the crossover.

The hardest part i think, is making the holes in the doors for the tweeters. i always recommend staying within about 12" of the 5.25" for best audio syncing.

If you go with a component system (crossovers/tweeters/midbass drivers), you'll NEVER go back to a regular speaker again. The clarity you get is amazing.

A. Well if you're upgrading from stock speakers to anything aftermarket, just about everything/anything will sound better. I prefer a 5.25" and Tweeter though versus a 6x8.

B. Usually you have a crossover which will split the frequencies of the audio. You just connect your speaker wire from the head unit (the wire in the door) to the input of the crossover, then you connect your tweeter and 5.25" speaker (both have their own connections) to the crossover.

The hardest part i think, is making the holes in the doors for the tweeters. i always recommend staying within about 12" of the 5.25" for best audio syncing.

If you go with a component system (crossovers/tweeters/midbass drivers), you'll NEVER go back to a regular speaker again. The clarity you get is amazing.

Thanks for the info! Now are all crossovers the same? Or would I have to search for one that separates the signal at the right frequency or something? (im a stereo noob). There isn't a writeup or how-to for this is there?
and hopefully, I wont have to drill any holes, there are some plate adapters I saw on ebay that turn a 6x8 opening into a 5.25" opening and I believe a 2" opening for a tweeter. Do you think they're worth using? Im looking for ease of install AND cost-efficiency.

i am an installer and if you dont want to cut or figure out the wiring kenwood make a set up that is a 5.25 and tweeter on a plate that is a 5x7. sounds great of deck power and kicks a$$ off of an amp

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KENWOOD-6x8-PLATE-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-w-CROSSOVERS-/390277455352

Wiring doesn't seem like it'd be too much of a problem. With a plug harness, and wiring diagrams it would really kinda be a piece of cake. They make plates you could put whatever brand into.

How much do these kenwoods go for?

the kenwoods start at 91.00 a pair on amazon. thats a great price since we sold them for 169.00 last summer.

What's the model number? If I don't dive on something cheaper, ill get those.

Was looking at some spl speakers? Are they halfway decent?

They're much much cheaper at 39.99 a set with free shipping, and that's where my budget is if I wanted to do this pretty soon (college student budget= really low.) Haha

there are some plate adapters I saw on ebay that turn a 6x8 opening into a 5.25" opening and I believe a 2" opening for a tweeter. Do you think they're worth using? Im looking for ease of install AND cost-efficiency.

You could make your own adapters using a sheet of masonite available at a lumber yard. Not sure on how much a sheet of masonite runs lately though.

5.25 with 6x8 adapter plate vs 6x8

I realize that this post is very old but if anyone ever is looking for information on this topic. NEVER use a smaller speaker when bigger ones fit!!!! the only reason you should ever use 5.25 in a 6 x8 spot would be if you already owned some 5.25 speakers and on a very tight budget. I tried the 5.25 mounted on plates. they will never compare to a nice pair of 6 by 8 when it comes to all around sound. I originally had a pair of Kicker 6x8 put my rear doors and I wanted the best sound to come from my front doors so I put a pair of JL components 5.25 and I ran them on a 400 watt jl amp. as soon as I heard the difference between my front and rear speakers I pulled the 5.25's out and replace them with the identical $99 pair of kicker 6x8's. I ran the app to both pairs of 6 by 8 and I promise that I did not need to add a sub it was beautiful but I added 2 tens anyway.

Back