8k HIDs Installed, Plasti Handles/Door Trim/Rear Logo/Roof Rails | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

8k HIDs Installed, Plasti Handles/Door Trim/Rear Logo/Roof Rails

what hid kit did you buy? is it hi-low on the headlight or just lo setting?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want the HIDS to just not sure yet. I like that they are bright but I also know that I myself have complained when passing someone with them. It is a lil hard on the eyes but hey its your vehicle so to heck what someone else thinks as long as you like it.

what hid kit did you buy? is it hi-low on the headlight or just lo setting?

I just bought an 8k kit from one of my suppliers. Its nothing crazy..just a kit from overseas. The headlight on the Explorer is actually a combo low/high. Its one bulb and the housing moves when you flash the highs.

I want the HIDS to just not sure yet. I like that they are bright but I also know that I myself have complained when passing someone with them. It is a lil hard on the eyes but hey its your vehicle so to heck what someone else thinks as long as you like it.

Yeah, i was excited when I saw it came with the projector housing, so the HIDs really look great in it. I wasnt looking to piss people off with how bright they are, and they truly are not that bad..its not angled up at peoples mirrors or anything. If you stare right at it, it might be bad, but it looks great and its lifetime warranty!

Finished Grille:

8314770001_2dc321c256_z.jpg

8314770125_431727c085_z.jpg

In my previous life, I owned a Honda Odyssey. I absolutely hated the side rails and removed them. However, Honda actually did this right and the base model didn't have the roof rails, therefore they made a cover for the groove running the length of the roof.

Ok, back to the Explorer, I don't think you can just take them off, because that is what I wanted to do. Even the base model has the black colored roof rails. And once you remove the rail bases, you are left with screw holes that are exposed because they didn't create a filler for the groove and holes. I spent a lot of time Sunday night on the Ford parts website looking for a filler for the groove, but it doesn't exist (that I could find).

I WANT to remove them completely, I think it would really sleek without the rails, but I am not seeing a good solution to removing them.

So I had the time to do the rails and wondering how it will look without it, I took some photos:

DSC_17712_zps9a89c1e7.jpg

DSC_17682_zps4c218b3f.jpg

Looks good if I can find a solution to cover up the roof weather striping!

20121228_125656_zpse2d979fe.jpg

20121228_125513_zps5bc60d5f.jpg

So anyhow, without a solution yet, did the painting of the rails to black and here are the photos:

DSC_17752_zps20cf0244.jpg

DSC_17792_zps333e4692.jpg

Which version do you like more? Without Rails or with black Rails?

Oh yeah! took photos of my dash kit in RCB finish too!

DSC_17962_zps747ab6e6.jpg

DSC_17942_zpsf031cc32.jpg

DSC_17912_zpsb0b167a1.jpg

Thank you Txaggie and XPLRTHIS for the how to's! Cheers!

mhikeboy - How'd you do your tail lights? I like the way they (and the rest of your Explorer) look!

You're welcome mhikeboy. The mods look real good on your truck!! I still think it would look better without the rails, but like you pointed out, no way to fill the groove and holes. Oh well, I'll wait till it gets warmer and paint the rails black. BTW, did you plastic dip them, or spray them with something more permanent?

Also, do you know how the plastic dip holds up over time to sun, dirt, car washing, etc?

You're welcome mhikeboy. The mods look real good on your truck!! I still think it would look better without the rails, but like you pointed out, no way to fill the groove and holes. Oh well, I'll wait till it gets warmer and paint the rails black. BTW, did you plastic dip them, or spray them with something more permanent?

Also, do you know how the plastic dip holds up over time to sun, dirt, car washing, etc?

No access to plastidip here, I used spray paint cans, cleaned it well and used isopropyl alcohol to prep it (no sanding) did 4 coats and then sprayed it with 3 coats of clear.

**UPDATED WITH GRILLES PICS**

I work for an aftermarket parts company and once I picked this baby up, i couldnt stop the modding! I masked off all the chrome parts and plasti-dipped them and they turned out GREAT!

I also added 8000k HID Lows and Fogs. Im going to do the grille next and powdercoat the wheels after that.

PS. Sorry if the photos are not amazing..Its Iphone 5

Before:

8285276120_d15f1377dc_c.jpg

Grille:

8314770001_2dc321c256_z.jpg

8314770125_431727c085_z.jpg

HIDS:

8284216937_24b90b7b34_c.jpg

Rails:

8284217251_d731755e41_c.jpg

Rear:

8284217447_7149a22c4b_c.jpg

Handles:

8285276428_9438d7fe18_c.jpg

How did you remove the front emblem? Is there screws in the back or does it just slide out? Thanks

How did you remove the front emblem? Is there screws in the back or does it just slide out? Thanks

Its kind of a pain in the ass but doesnt take too long. You have to loosen all the screws that hold the top of the grille on, then you reach your hand down with a 10mm ratchet and maybe a small extension if you have one and take the two little nuts off. The emblem is then loose but you have to use a bit of force in order to take the emblem out through the threaded holes. Im sorry I dont have install photos but good luck!

Its kind of a pain in the ass but doesnt take too long. You have to loosen all the screws that hold the top of the grille on, then you reach your hand down with a 10mm ratchet and maybe a small extension if you have one and take the two little nuts off. The emblem is then loose but you have to use a bit of force in order to take the emblem out through the threaded holes. Im sorry I dont have install photos but good luck!

Thanks! I'll try it this weekend.

Back