Blacking out my grill with Plasti Dip. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blacking out my grill with Plasti Dip.

Does the blacked-out taillight prevent a large amount of light from escaping? I would still like to stay state legal (since I am also a cop) but also have a cool blacked-out look. The body of the truck is burgundy ("Dark Cherry") so I am making all the trim and stuff black.

I imagine it makes some difference, but not a whole lot. I let mine dry between coats and plugged them in to test them. I settled for 3 coats and was very happy with the outcome. I also tinted my father in law's Ranger taillights (used 2 heavy coats, so it was about the same as my 3 light coats). Both sets of taillights are easily noticeable during night and daytime driving.

I've even been pulled over several times (once for speeding, and a few other times I was stopped in road blocks) and they have never mentioned anything about my lights. Then again, my windows are tinted too (15% all around when the legal limit is 40%) so I don't believe they are too picky.

Some states may have restrictions on tinting (I'm not sure because I've never looked that up) but I'd say the main thing is just having taillights that are clearly visible in all conditions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great job on the grille. I think it looks fantastic and didn't know the finish can be that clean. I wish I had seen this before I bought my black mesh grille because I do actually want to retain the Ford badge on the grille. The stock grille is not ugly, it's just... well... chrome?

I'll probably put the mesh grille on to see how it looks and plasti-dip the OEM grill while it is off the vehicle. Then I can decide what looks better. I'll post pics with both, once it's done. Maybe you guys can help me decide.

Did the first of my winter wheels with gunmetal plastidip. Hope to get to the rest as the week progresses. They were in pretty rough shape but this stuff looks great with minimal prep. As for colour, it is more of a blue grey than gunmetal but it still looks good. Will just see how they hold up. I will post some pics too when I get a chance.

I have had great luck with plasti dip, the bumpers grill and wheels that are on my ranger right now have been plasti dipped. Help up great through car washes and driving it everyday.

e8e9a8y5.jpg

I can't wait to try this stuff out on something.

Come to think of it, our garden tractor needs a paint job. Hmm....:D

First things first - I ordered a 6 can pack of this stuff from Amazon - pretty cheap and figured it's good keep a bunch of it on hand for odd things.

I installed my new black mesh grille, bull bar and hood protector today. With the OEM grille off the vehicle, I'm going to attempt to plasti-dip it next weekend. Should be an easy job as I'll be able to get in all the creases and the back of it.

Ready for plasti-dipping next weekend.
20140920_183434_Android.jpg

I was amazed by two things:
1. At how hefty and solid the OEM grille is
2. How cheap and flimsy the bumper skin is
Here are some before and after pics of the new grille and bar. If the OEM plasti-dip grille comes out nice, I'll swap it to see what it looks like.

20140920_182225_Android.jpg

There are mounting holes for lights in the bull bar on either side of the license place. I'm going to install a nice set of LED driving lights there.

20140921_143430_Android.jpg

20140921_152832_Android.jpg

Looks great! Been planning on doing my grill too and not sure if i should sand and paint or plasti dip. After seeing yout post im gonna go with the plasti dip. Thanks for posting pics too!

Well, it seems this thread died a year ago, however; I am thinking of doing this on the Rims/ trim, and grill of my old 2001 Ex Sport(189K and going strong). going for the classic black on my white ex. Wondering how the OP's held up after all this time, and, how it looks on an Explorer in that age range, dont want it to look Chintzy.

Well, it seems this thread died a year ago, however; I am thinking of doing this on the Rims/ trim, and grill of my old 2001 Ex Sport(189K and going strong). going for the classic black on my white ex. Wondering how the OP's held up after all this time, and, how it looks on an Explorer in that age range, dont want it to look Chintzy.

Hey!! I actually used the plasti dip on my rear bumper and have to say it has held up well in the year I've had it on there just about. There's some parts that are peeling here and there but I live in the desert so it has stood up to the heat and truck washes. Also my grille held up perfectly looks like I just did it still haha :)

Hot Damn I am going to do this to our 2009.
End product looks textured.
Is that the only option with Plastidip?

looks awesome I might have to try this on my 08. I like the chrome look but my st is dark blue and doesn’t go well.

Back