9" Rear ?'s

bmxking5

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
Some of you may know that I am swapping a full width Dana 44 and Ford 9" into my Explorer. I was at the junkyard today and found a few 9" rear axles. I was planning on just getting the 44 & 9" from the same 78-79 Bronco or F150, but I can get this 9" for next to nothing. So my question is: What are the differences in the Ford 9" axle in a '83 F150, '81 F150, and the typical 78-79 F150/Broncos? (ie: width, brakes, etc.)

I have talked to a few people and they said that there was no difference in any of them. I just want to make sure before I buy it. One more question, does it matter what gears are in it currently? I know that some axles have different carriers that might need to be swapped out if it was changed to 4.88s (That's the ratio I'm going with). I know that the tag on the axle should say the current ratio, but it was too dirty to see the numbers. The '83's axle code on the door said 16, and the '81's code was 13. The only problem is I can't seem to find those codes on the internet.

If it turns out that I can use the axle out of one of those, I will be pulling it on Monday. TIA :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No carrier breaks on the 9" :D

In other words, the gear ratio doesn't matter? BTW, I tried to get off a set of '71 Ford 2wd buckets but couldn't get them off. Even if I could get a drill in the j.y. it would take forever to get them off. 4 rivets and 1 bolt per side!?!?!?! I guess if I get them, I'll buy new :( or get them from a j.y. that pulls the stuff for me. :D

the differance in 9'' rears is the banjo or non-banjo housing. There is a pic on EF somewere that would be helpfull

This?

Attachments

• 9in rear.JPG
    9in rear.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 272

So what is the difference in the two? I searched and couldn't find any answer other than it looks different.

EDIT: I am assuming that the 9" in the 81/83 is the same as the 78/79 and that the other style 9" was for below 77 Bronco's, etc.?

Yes, no carrier breaks means it doesn't matter what gears are in it the carrier is the same :) Just like in the 8.8

That's good news.

That's what i thought when I found out too...we're doing about the same swap, in fact, it looks like the same swap 79 d44 and 9" :D

If you get a d44 are you getting the stock ra's...there's a pretty easy way to extend them without any cutting. I'm planning on picking up my 9" this july, a buddy of mine can bring one down to a run i'm going to.

On the j.y.'s website they said that they just got in a 79 Ford pickup. That's the reason I went today, hoping it was a 79 F150 4WD. But it turned out to be a 79 F350 Dualie 2WD :mad: I plan on getting as much of the stock parts as possible, including the r.a.'s. I will just keep an eye out there since their stuff is really cheap. Plus, I can pull it myself to get a better idea of where it all went before it is in pieces.

Also, I talked to Brucesexpo this morning(I sold him my old tires/wheels) and he said that he has a buddy that lives near him that has a 79 Bronco that's been sitting for 5-6 years. It's for sale for $500 for the whole truck. I will probably buy this 9" and fix it up and use it in mine. I am also planning on trying to buy that 79 Bronco and using the front end and anything else I can use from it. Then I will part it out and use that extra money to put towards lockers, tires, wheels, etc. :bounce:

Hell i'd keep the entire driveline from that truck man. Even if the engine isn't running it could probably be rebuilt that way someday in the future when your 4.0 craps out you'll have something to put in it :)

Actually, right now I am thinking about just building up the V6 alot instead of 302. Plus, IDK if I'd even be able to buy it. Even if I have $3000, the final decision is always up to my parents. I know they wouldn't let me keep an old bronco in the driveway for a long time. (A long time = 2 or more months) If I did somehow get their permission, it would be stripped very quickly and I'd sell the left over parts as soon as possible.

Does anyone know what truck the 35 spline 9" was in? Or is the 35 spline one only available from Curry?

35 spline 9" stuff is all aftermarket. Not only Currie, but a whole bunch of others make 35 spline shafts/carriers for the 9".

So you can buy the 35 spline stuff for the 9" I'm getting? If that is what you mean, that is awesome. :bounce:

Yes, you can run 35 spline in any big bearing end 9". You cannot use the stock 3rd member. It will get expensive pretty quick. If you're dead set on 35 spline and on a budget, watch ebay for complete 3rd members with the gearing/locker of your choice. Buying new, you can have $1000+ in a 35 spline rear 9".

I will be on ebay quite a bit. ;) Like I said before, it will be a pretty slow build up. I know I can get the stuff quickly on Summit, etc. but I'd rather wait to get deals. (Searching on several forums, ebay, etc.) Also, I am going to be doing TONS of research so that I can do as much as I can by myself or with the help of close friends. I definitely don't plan on going 35 spline immediately since I am too dang impacient. :D I will start out on the 35s and then later see about upgrading shafts, lockers, and the other upgrades. Thanks for the help James.

Well, I pulled it today from 83 F100. It took us forever since the u-bolts DID NOT want to come off even with the penetrant stuff. Finally after using a hack saw on half of them, the others loosened up and we pulled it out. Overall it looks like it was worth it and is in fairly good shape for a 23 year old truck.

Does anyone know if the gear ratio is 3.27 if on the diff tag it says 3E27? That is the only set of numbers I can see that resemble a gear ratio. Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably start up a thread in a few days with the start of the build-up/clean-up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For your cheapest route, just watch eBay for complete, locked thirds. There are A LOT of 31 spline, 9" "race" thirds on there with 4.88-5.13 r&ps and Detroits.

I got mine on there, it was built for a drag project Stang, that never got raced. Got it for a steal with very low street mileage. The "Nascar" thrids are on there all time, and they usually only get used for one race....................although I don't know what condition they end up being in after that one race. :confused:

Back