9004s...9007s...HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

9004s...9007s...HELP!!

Grrrrr. My headlights have been screwed up ever since I got the new front clip. The low beams were super dim and the high beam light stayed on all the time.

I was using the new style 9007 bulbs. I just tried the old bulbs the 9004s and everything worked great. Well...almost. When I tried to install the 9004s in the new style headlight housing they wouldn't fit. Even though the sockets looked the same the 9004 is actually slightly longer. I ground down the 9004s to fit the socket, but I'm afraid they might come loose or dirt will be able to get into the housing.

What was different about the wiring of the 9004 vs 9007? The connectors fit the same, but obviously there is a difference. Matt, could you ask someone at PIAA? Maybe I could jsut do a bit of re-wiring so I can run the 9007s in my '93.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh no! Our fearless leader has a problem!!

Rick, didn't Perry McNeil do the conversion long before you did? If so, he probably solved this problem. I would try giving him a ring to see what he did. I assume you can change the wiring somewhere along the line, but I don't know what the difference b/t the 9004 and 9007 is. It may be something with the headlight switch. Hopefully not. Actually, from what you described it may just be that some of the wires are reversed or something. The old high beam wire could be the low beam wire, the old ground is the new high beam power, and the old high beam power is the new ground. Does this make sense. From a wattage standpoint, it might given your symptoms. Of course, I may be totally wrong 'cause it's six in the morning and it's still last night. D'Oh!

If all else fails get an upgrade/high watt wiring harness from autosyndicate or someone. Thay are about $45.oo and your headlights will be brighter than the stock wiring as an added benefit.

Rick....I thought that the 9007 were made for the 95+ explorers and the 9004 were for 91-94. With your front clip being like that of a '95 I would think that the 9007 would be best for you. It sounds like you got a bad bulb or something. When you used the 9004 did you leave it on for a while with no problems?? There also might be some bad wiring going on somewhere??? The differnce from what I can tell is that in 95 ford switched over to a brighter bulb than before along with the whole fog light idea. Thus the wiring is a bit larger in the newer fords to hold more power. I would think that with the clip on they replaced the light housing too didn't they??? If so I would say re-wire the lights and use the 9007. Sorry.

Leebo, everything was spelled out in my first post. The bulbs are somehow wired different and I need to find out how I can wire my '93 to act like a '95. For now I have jury rigged '93 bulbs in the '95 housing and it works fine.

so basically, you want to make sure the 9004 to 9007 conversion was done completely? I emailed PIAA about it, I think they are pretty busy with SEMA coming up, but we'll see what they say.

here's some instructions I found on making this conversion. I've never tried it so I won't guarantee they are good... but they looked ot be what would be necessary to convert from 9004 (pre-95) to 9007 (post-95).
1. Remove the 9004 bulbs.
2. Use a long, flat blade screwdriver and a mallet to snap off the two tabs in the bulb sockets located at about 5 o'clock and 8 o'clock. Leave the tab at 12 o'clock to orient the bulbs (same for both 9004 and 9007). This makes the socket compatible for both bulbs.
3. Pull out the rubber moisture plug from the headlight connectors. Note the position of each colored wire. You will be swaping the positions of the brown and yellow leads. This is a difficult procedure that needs to be done in two steps: First you need to remove a piece (the top quarter) of the plastic casing of the connector itself, as it acts as a place-holder for the wires. Second, insert a very small jeweler's screwdriver into the open end of the connector (opposite from the end from the wires) on the top side (the side that you had to remove the plastic place-holder piece). The wires should pop out easily.
4. Before you push the wires into their new positions, you should soak down the little rubber moisture plug with WD-40 and pull the 2 wires (and connectors) out through this plug and re-insert them into their new positions, then the plug will go back in nice and neat, otherwise with the wires crossed, it will not go back in very well.
5. Insert the brown wire where the yellow one was originally, and vice-versa.
6. Carefully push the moisture plug back in, angling the wires so that it all fits back together.
7. Plug in the 9007s and go drive really fast at night.

See, told you some of the wires were switched ;)

I was even right at 6 in the morning, wow!

hehehe, I'll shut up now.

THANKS MATT!!

Rick, did that help or not?

I don't know, but it sounds good to me. Where did you get the info from? I'll try it out as soon as I have some time.

from some low-rider club of all places :)

Back