92 a4ld grinds into 1st gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 a4ld grinds into 1st gear

kraylake

Reaction score
when i put my 92 into D, it grinds into gear, then takes hold, then drives fine in all gears, whats my problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you just hear the grinding or can you also feel it through the gearshift?

If you can feel it through the gearshift that makes me think it might have something to do with the parking pall not releasing all the way or slowly.
That would be unusual.

See what the other guys say

update...was sitting at a traffic light in OD, light turns green car wouldnt move. i dropped it down into 2 and it moved, mannually shifted into OD once car was moving and it shifts perfectly. stop at a light, car wont move, drop it into 2 and car moves.

whats going on?

fluid is fine, filter recently changed, the shifter does have some "play" in it. i also shud say that i had a delayed shfit into reverse condition, i replaced the reverse servo orings, that did nt help, so i installed the reverse servo extender pin, that fixed reverse but thats when first gear began to mess up.

i also replaced the vacumn modulator cause it wasnt shifting into OD...i now shifts into OD perfectly.

the tip of the servo was fine. i had read that IF the oring replacement on the reverse servo didnt fix the no-shift-into-reverse condition that you shud put the extender pin it. Which i did. There were instructions to grind the pin down but it didnt say how much to grind so i didnt grind it at all.

ok, in attempting to remove the extender pin, i broke the tip of the servo shaft off. I had a spare servo so i installed it. The fluid in the trans was dark, smelly and had some metal flakes in it. (mind u i probably only dove the car with the extender pin installed 10 miles) When test driving, there was no change in trans function. It goes into reverse on a small delay, you can feel it go into Drive but the car wont move when u accelarate, shift into 2 and the car goes, after u get to about 2000 rpm u can manually shift into OD and the car goes through its shift sequence just fine. Come to a complete stop in OD and then accelarate, the car wont move. Put it into 2 and it will go.

Oh and the z link was fine, but the hole that the z link fits into in the valve is a bit oblong and presented some sloppy function, dont know if its enough slop to matter.

What shud i do now?

ok got all that stuff above installed, adjusted the bands, adjusted the kickdown cable. It shifts into reverse nicely. when i put it in OD or D, it wont move, if i put it in 2 itll move, if i put into 1 it wont move.

so, i can put into 2 and go, then manually shift to D or OD and itll shift fine, goes thru all the gears, upshifts and downshifts fine. But once i stop and if im in OD it wont move out again untill i shift into 2 then itll go.

two things, first, i adjusted the shift cable per instructions and it didnt fix my problem. second, if i go out and buy a replacement transmission will an A4LD from any vehicle work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back