92 EX going to Burning Man as art car, many questions and pictures. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 EX going to Burning Man as art car, many questions and pictures.

More pictures. They're a little behind where we actually are on the project but I'll get you caught up as soon as I get the pics.
Bowl being mounted
4849937114_a539ff9915_b.jpg

Setting up exit slide mock up
4849937900_61d85e38be_b.jpg

Carton taking shape
4849319483_f7e7e09a51_b.jpg

Inside of bowl looking towards carton and original Explorer cab
4849320091_e8d4a0da32_b.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow that slide is going to be "bangin'"

You make me miss the bay area... Fantastic work! Surreal and Milk!

Been really busy. But here's some more pictures. I'll have some pics of the remote steering system and some other details hopefully by Friday. Flickr seems to have changed it's rules and I can't seem to imbed photos anymore. So here's the links.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36341188@N06/4925397749/in/photostream/
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RHipcIYxB-U/TGoYcEA9S1I/AAAAAAAAAMA/N1MVolSpJBE/s1600/IMG_0041.JPG
Carton top being put into place-notice slide in place.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36341188@N06/4925397711/in/photostream/
Top in place. Carton is coming together.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36341188@N06/4925990868/
Lighting the carton. About 5000 led lights are put through drilled holes in the carton surface.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36341188@N06/4925990836/in/photostream/

BTW we have a build up blog if you need more www.surrealandmilk.blogspot.com

That carton is HUGE! It's all very cool.

That's flippin awesome! At first this looked like a small driveway project but then slowly escalated into something much much larger - awesome work and creativity !

I'm looking for a little help with the charging system. We will be driving around just above idle. Which isn't enough to charge the batteries. So I was thinking of trying to increase the battery storage capacity. I happen to have two 6 volt rv batteries. So I was thinking of connecting them all together. The 6 volts batteries in series (to make 12 volts) and connecting them in parallel to the 12 volt battery. Dumb idea?

put a smaller pully on your alternatot. It will charge at a lower rpm

I vote for totally cool... :thumbsup:

I'm looking for a little help with the charging system. We will be driving around just above idle. Which isn't enough to charge the batteries. So I was thinking of trying to increase the battery storage capacity. I happen to have two 6 volt rv batteries. So I was thinking of connecting them all together. The 6 volts batteries in series (to make 12 volts) and connecting them in parallel to the 12 volt battery. Dumb idea?

I wouldn't, as if a problem develops in one of the 6v batteries it could go boom. That could suck real bad in the desert.

I like the smaller pulley idea--or raise the engine RPM's a little ??

Yeah go with a smaller pulley and/or put another alternator where the A/C compressor sat.

Question: how do you transport this to the event?

Question 2: how does the driver drive the vehicle since the window is blocked?

Lot's of guys are running two 6 volts in RV's now. I can't see why this would be a problem. Or just get a bigger alt, smaller pulley, and stack of 12 volts... Or mount a nice, quiet honda generator somewhere on there.

BTW, how much does this sucker weigh? That Ex has gotta be sagged HARD...

KPSquared- we already have a generator tucked inside (honda eu1000i nice and quiet) but we didn't want to run it during the day. It's mainly for lighting.
We don't know exactly how much it weighs but I didn't notice any real sag. Even with 8 people in it for testing. When I gutted it I removed around 1000 lbs.

IZWack 1. It's being shipped on a flatbed semi. The top half of the carton comes off.
2. it's driven from upstairs in the carton. There's a chain driven steering wheel and the gas/brake is done with a power steering motor. I'll try to show it all with pictures that I'm taking tomorrow. If I remember the camera.

I've been looking for a small pulley locally (we leave on Sat.) and I can't find one. And from looking at other threads it only increases it's speed 33% which I still don't think is enough to get it into a charging rpm level.

Brings a tear to my eye.

Don't go all sappy on us GuardianSport.

I've been looking for a small pulley locally (we leave on Sat.) and I can't find one. And from looking at other threads it only increases it's speed 33% which I still don't think is enough to get it into a charging rpm level.

The perfect solution would be a overdrive crank and alternator pulley. That would speed up your alternator water pump and fan. But it sounds like your out of time. So I would bring along a battery charger for the generator and just run it once in a while. Or whenever your in neutral push the throttle up to cool down the engine and charge the battery.

Bob

can i have those manual hubs when youre done?

Intresting thread. Good work done, I'm just curious at what you're going to do with it when your done? (I didn't read the whole article so if it was mentioned, I apologize)

Watt9386, if you want to buy the whole thing you can have the hubs. You get front and rear lockers and a giant ass bowl too. :)

icecube498 it's going to Burning Man. Tomorrow morning in fact. I didn't get any more pics. But I'll get a bunch at BM that I'll post links to when I get back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

only problem is im on the opposite coast :(

Back