92 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 XLT

Upper Peninsula, MI

Hey, well my truck is a 92 XLT. Green 4 door. 4x4, elecronic BW tcase(anyone know if you can put a NV tcase in these things). Tan Leather, pw,pl,power mirrors, air, cruise, tilt, power driver and passenger seats. Almost loaded, just no CD player. She's pretty much stock. I put manual hubs on it, work great just don't know if I can get them replaced if they break(see manual hub kit thread). I've had the truck for almost two years, love it. Am going to hate getting rid of it. Most of the wheeling it does is on Silver Lake sand dunes in Michigan, and an occational "easy" run up here in the UP. The last one almost took two of my tires, my transfer case skid plate, and rear dif cover, oh yeah and gas tank. These things could use a wee bit more ground clearance. But the good thing was I never needed the strap! Anyway thats a quick look into the life of my Exploder.

Hi Tars, and welcome to the site.
I don't know about swapping the BW with a NV, but I do know that a Atlas II will fit and work alot better. It's alittle expensive, but worth it. I put one in my 97 with a 3.78 low. They do have a 4.2 low, and a 3.0 low also.
Got any pictures of your rig?

I've got a couple pictures from this summer wheeling at Silver Lake. I'm waiting to get a couple more from a friend that went with us. Hopefully I can put the one up of me pulling my buddy's Dakota out. He got highcentered on the top of a dune. Anyway when I get them all back and figure out which ones I like I'll put them up.

UPdate on my truck.

I have the pictures from last summer at Silver Lake, now I just have to find a scanner. I also have some pictures of my truck on the run that almost took out most of my undercarraige. Hopefully I will get those up soon.

Ok now for news on my truck, very soon I will be getting the other three BFG's to match my one I'm using as a spare right now. I am also going to put on a small lift, like 2inches. I would go higher but I already spent the money on the one tire(Firestone recall). I am also going to be fixing my rockers and rear gate as soon as it warms up. Rockers are getting Herculiner. Anyway thats news for now. Hope to see some of you at Silver Lake this summer(see Silver Lake post in Serious Explorations).

If anyone lives in the UP, Northern Wisc or will be coming to this area, look me up. I would love to meet some on you guys and have some fun wheeling. Since I moved to Escanaba I haven't wheeled at all, don't know anyone here, so if anyone is within 100 mi let me know I'd be willing to do some wheeling.

I am still meaning to get my pictures up here sooner or later, there are some good action shots despite my truck being basically stock. Lets just say I kept up with a Jeep TJ and I was still running my bald old street tires(before the BFGs) This was not just a rutted 2 track, we went back on the trail in the winter on our snowmobiles and my buddy said you got your truck up here? How?
Anyway I'll try to get some of those pictures

Back