Mike65's 2000 Ranger XLT 4X4 Off Road. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mike65's 2000 Ranger XLT 4X4 Off Road.

Here is a pic of one of my new wheels .

100_0946_zpsxh8gpwop.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Purchased a set of dual note horns that are from a 06 F-250 for my Ranger to eliminate the single note wimpy horn. I installed them yesterday. I had to re-bend the mounting bracket & re-index the horns so they point down once they got installed. I purchased a horn plug connector from Rockauto & used my single wire for the power, & ran the ground to a ground screw under the hood.

100_0944_zpsguyrarhm.jpg

100_0945_zpsoql4bcjz.jpg

Looks real good with the new shoes!

Looks real good Mike. You're going to like those Coopers. I've had them on my shop truck since October. Best bang for the buck of any of the tires I've had on it.

I like that set-up a lot! Looks good, almost like those Level II Ranger rims! :thumbsup:

I have been "living" with an engine miss problem for about the last year, it would start to miss under load & I narrowed it down to #-4 cyl. I would replace the spark plug & it would be good for about 1 - 2 months & then act up again. Well about a week ago it acted up again & this time replacing the spark plug did not fix it so I started checking it out & came to the conclusion that it needs to be torn down. Today I finally got the drivers side cyl head off & pulled the valves out of the head for #-4 cyl & found a crack between the valves through the valve seats back up into the head about 1" toward where the valve stem goes through the head. Time to order new heads. It is a poor picture but trust me there is a rather long crack in the head.

100_0967_zpsox9i6cur.jpg

the good news is when its all back together with new gaskets, you wont have to worry about the head gasket failure that plagues these motors

Ordered the cyl heads, gaskets, water pump, new fan blade, plugs, wires, lifters, idler pulley, fuel injector O rings, new exhaust manifold studs & nuts & I bought the lower intake gasket from Ford. Just waiting for everything to arrive, should have it here by Friday, then the fun begins, reassembly.

Installed the new cyl heads, water pump, rebuilt rocker assemblies, new lifters, push rods, & hooked up the r/s exhaust today.

100_0974_zpsark5epba.jpg

100_0975_zpstbmqdbdk.jpg

Last edited:

Had to make a run to the hardware store for a couple metric bolts to attach the y pipe to the exhaust manifold that broke when taking it apart. The bolts I used were M10-1.50 x 70MM which were about 1/2" too long but I used a spacer so I did not have to run back to the hardware store again. I installed the l/s exhaust manifold & attached the y pipe.

Last edited:

Today I installed the spark plugs, plug wires, filled the cooling system & started it up. :D It started on the very first crank. I ran it until the engine came up to operating temp & shut it off to let it cool & recheck the coolant level. After a couple hours I had to top off the coolant & took it for a ride for a few miles, temp was good & it ran great. Now I have an exhaust leak where the y pipe meets the front cat conv the gasket blew out & the tail pipe is rusted out at the back of the muffler. Time for a new exhaust system. Here is a link to the system I ordered; http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-mufflers/61A2281A0A0.aspx

Last edited:

makes me want to pull my motor and rebuild the ranger

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back