• Register Today It's free!

93 4.0 turns over by hand

91eb4x

Reaction score
City, State
san diego, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 eddie
I have a stock 93 4.0 it is possible to turn engine over by hand by grabbing flex plate (motor is out) with the plugs in. is this normal for these small motors or does that mean compression is real low. its only got 100,000 on it and is very clean no leaks present. I know it has some compression but obviously I can't do a full on cranking test cause its not in the truck. I thought about a leak down tester but I don't have one and am unfamiliar with it. like I said it has no leaky gaskets oil looks good and both intake and exhausts valves look clean form the back sides which would say pretty low miles. any help would be appreciated

its sounds to me like you have bad compression. i can get it turning over by using a ratchet but by hand sounds like there is a problem

Possible if your real strong! ! Its posible when your spining it by the flywheel

You can test it,take all the plugs out and just have the compression tester in one cylinder.you should be able to turn the motor over enought times by hand to get a reading

Back