'93 explorer 4 inch lift..Any advice? mpg? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'93 explorer 4 inch lift..Any advice? mpg?

Hossexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Baker City, OR.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
:eek:Hey im new to the site, and want to put a 4 inch lift with 31X10.5 tires on my 93 explorer with an auto. Any tips? Also I get 22 mpg now, how bad will the lift affect mpg? will I have problems with the tranny?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mpg and trans issues depend on what gearing your differentials have. i myself have a 4" lift, run 31s, and have 3.27 gears.. i get around 14 mpg around town but accelleration is poor due to the high gears, and keeping speed up hills is also affected. there are lots of threads about gears, lifts, and tire sizes and how they relate to making your vehicle perform

I had the 4" Rough Country with 33x12.5 and 3.27 gears. With a lead foot I got about 12mpg on my screwed up odometer. Probably was getting close to 14. Honestly, didn't think acceleration was that bad. I could still chirp the tires if I floored it, squeel around corners, and spin through first and second in the rain.

Currently have 9" of lift and 35s with 3.27 and get less then 10.

Need some 5.13s!

you ran 33s with 3.27s huh? hows the tranny?

I run 35s with 3.27s. :burnout: Haha i wish. But in all seriousness, it sucks. Tranny is fine, blew out after 8,000 with the 33s but that was because when they rebuilt it they didnt replace something and it went kaboom. And who cares how the tranny is, its under warranty! :thumbsup:

Currently have 9" of lift and 35s with 3.27 and get less then 10.
I just threw up in my mouth a little... How can you stand that?

It's honestly not that bad

Here is a pic of my 94 with 4" and 32's(3:73 gears/unlocked)......
IMG_0159.jpg

and just cause I like to ***** pics of it, here it is now with 4' suspension and 3"BL and 35's(4:88 gears/locked F/R).....
DSC00051.jpg

You can see my wifes old 94 Limited 'sploder behind it(kind of,LOL)
Mine has the AOD, but I don't have a heavy foot with it either. A good tranny temp gauge will help you there(heat is a factor when you kill a auto). Not the only issue, but it adds to killing them.
My advise on the mpg is if your worried about mileage is to stop modding it(or don't if its bone stock)do a tune up and leave it alone. With mods you will lose mpg. sometimes not much, with other mods a lot. I have a 347 in my Ranger and I don't even know what the mileage on it is cause I didn't build it for any kind of mpg. Harsh words but the truth. Not trying to be a party pooper here, or trying to discourage you in any way, just be ready for a mileage drop......

I was running my explorer around tonight, i have a 0-60 time of just under 14 seconds. :confused: Sounds really bad, but considering the stock 0-60 time was around 12 seconds (if i'm correct), that's not that bad. :thumbsup:

thats a nice truck. where did you get the light bar?

The lightbar is a CARR

I got the Ranger running and until I get the 44 and 9" in it the BOGGERs go on it. The fenders only have slight trimming done on the backside by the fairing.......

You can fit 31s without a lift.

I'm assuming he wants more wheel well clearance. 4" lift with 31's will look like a 6" cause of the big void. With the economy/gas like it is. I have decided that I am just going to get my truck fixed*, lift it with warriors and f150 spacers and then do 31x9.5 Bighorns.

*The rear main seal is believed to be bad. It leaks pretty nicely. Also when I let off the gas I can hear some play in the tranny. Also a few other minor things.

Exactly! Makes it have the appearance that it's lifted more than it really is!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well thats not exactly what i was goin for.. but until i can re-gear and until the 31s wear out thats how its going to stay. my gf has enough trouble as it is climbing into the truck, and to think i sold the factory tube steps for $50. oh well, rope ladder!

Back