'93 explorer 4 inch lift..Any advice? mpg? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'93 explorer 4 inch lift..Any advice? mpg?

well thats not exactly what i was goin for.. but until i can re-gear and until the 31s wear out thats how its going to stay. my gf has enough trouble as it is climbing into the truck, and to think i sold the factory tube steps for $50. oh well, rope ladder!

My girlfriend is trying to get me to put step-bars back on, atleast on her side. But I hate how they look so she'll just have to deal. It was fine when it was the 4" lift and 33s but now with 9" and 35s she can't get in, its funny to watch. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

getting out is easy.. she just kinda leaps and hopes for the best. i hafta admit though, when i drive up on gravel piles or stumps for flex shots its a royal pain to get back in the truck, im not a small guy and even at 6'2" i have to give it all ive got to jump up into the seat.

Yep, I say a truck like that once a while back! The guys girl had to do a pull up to get her foot to the ladder!

I'll admit, i got trouble getting in to my truck too. And I'm 6 inches taller then my girlfriend. But that's how I know my truck is big, when everyone complains its hard to get in to!

Get a tranny cooler to help keep it cool, maybe get a few bolt on power-adders to help compensate for the larger tires. (Exhaust, Intake, blah blah blah)

i really need to go to the local u-pull it and snag some factory tranny coolers so i can run 2 on mine, i think it would help. theyre only open on weekends though. you might wanna think about adding a trans temp guage so you can monitor your trans temp. with the lift and bigger tires it will be working harder.

Hey as a reply to lifting a '93 XLT: GO BIG OR GO HOME
Mpg: 6" 33/12.50 18's 3.73 gears 15-18 mpg speedo is off by 10% 60=66mph

A quick overview of what I did

Rear go to an offroad shop and get spring perches weld on top of axle(spring over conversion) also need left side ranger E-brake cable
as for shocks the posts about flipping shock mounts doesn't work build your own (I'll Post Pics)my shock mounts also fixed my sway bar being too short
also the drive line should be long enough(mine has been 4 wheel airborne many times with no problems)

Front find your local BDS dealer have them order you the front half of the "93 Ranger kit(8 rivets and alot of cursing)but it works (I had to space my radius arms with a BIG washer to center my axle in the wheel wells) also prepare to replace upper and lower ball joints, wheel bearings, brake lines

also a good time to install a bushing kit and upgrade brakes

i have a 93 XLT...
im gettin some 31X10.50 from a friend
i was lookin into a lift as well.
what would be a good way to lift it cheaply?
if i lift the front, dont i need brackets to drop the I-beams to correct the camber?

my rear bumper looks exactly like yours. It seems its the complete opposite of the effect of towing a 15,000 lbs trailer LOL

Back