93 Explorer suspension worn out. Lift kit replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer suspension worn out. Lift kit replacement?

KarmicFlea

Reaction score
City, State
New Baltimore, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I am at a crossroad and have a decision to make. I have a 1993 Explorer XLT with 189,000 mi on it, and I have replaced numerous items including the A4LD transmission 3 times. It has a bunch of issues, but what I am concerned about at the moment is the suspension. The coils and leaves are worn out, and need to be replaced.

I did some checking and my local O'Reilly's has Moog Front Coils for about $90 for the set, and they have new leaf springs from Dorman which run for about $360 each. This would be a hefty investment for me for an aging truck.

As I see it I have 2 choices: Run on what I have until I can get something else, or replace the parts. I would like to keep the truck, but if I choose to replace the suspension, would it be better to use stock parts, or look into a suspension lift kit? I've seen 2" kits for about $300 but would a kit like this give me everything I need to replace the Explorer's suspension? Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any advice regarding my issue. If anyone needs more information to help me please let me know. I've been running stock since I purchased the truck back in 1999, but it might be time to start playing with mods.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update to my question.

I've done some further digging online, and I've found that there seem to be 2 manufacturers that have kits that include full sets of rear leaf springs in addition to all the other parts: Rough Country 4" Suspension Lift (Part #440 .20)and Super Lift (SKU: K490). They both cost about $700.00, without any additional brackets for sway bar connections.

These are both 4" kits, and was more than I was originally thinking, but it seems that all of the 2" kits only use helper leaves in the rear, which I think means I would have to replace the worn leaf springs anyway. The links to the items are here if anyone wants to see what I'm looking at.

Super Lift:
http://www.superlift.com/lift-kits/...mazda-explorer-navajo-suspension-lift-kit.asp

Rough Country:
http://www.roughcountry.com/ford-suspension-lift-kit-440-20.html

If anyone with experience in this type of project whom is reading this sees any errors in my thinking about how this works, please let me know. I'm planning on doing the work myself, am a first timer, and would welcome any input. Thanks.

Edit: Can anyone see any other issues with doing a project like this? Like having to upgrade power steering systems? And what size tires would this kind of lift accommodate? I'm looking at 32x11.5R15.

check out Skyjacker as well. But look for Ranger kits. I had a 6" Ranger kit in my '93 Ex for several years. They have replacement rear leafs as well. But like the others, they're not cheap

James Duff also makes shorter lifts (and taller ones).. We started with their 2.5" lift and were very pleased with the quality of it...

They do use an AAL for the rear though but you can look into the Old Man Emu leaf spring (CS042R) - http://store.arbusa.com/Old-Man-Emu-Leaf-Spring-CS042R-P20999.aspx

We ran the predecessor to that rear spring (was called OME-36) that we bought used from [MENTION=71]Rick[/MENTION]. It was a great spring.

IIRC, the current OME spring is stil a 1.5" lift BUT, I'm not 100% positive on that.

~Mark

Fixing a sagging rear end is easy. You can just get longer shackles. You can get new coils for the front for as cheap as $32 for a pair. Shock absorbers is where it gets expensive.

A 4" lift with 32" tires would look great, but keep in mind that if you run 32's, you will have to regear the axle(s) to avoid killing the your newest transmission.

Coils and leafs can age and sag, but they still function. I suggest you think about a coil spacer and rear shackle lift, super cheap and gets you maybe 1.5". The money you save by not getting an expensive lift you can use to replace shocks and bushings. That's where you'll get a noticeable improvement in ride quality.

Thanks for the responses. I will have to look into what needs to be done to the axles for the 32" tires. Also I'll have to look into using the the longer shackles as a temp fix, but I've decided to make this a project truck. I live in Sedona, AZ now and would like to be able to take it on the trails around here, so at some point I am going to have to do the 4 inch lift. I'm looking at doing this over the next few months, and I'll let you all know how it goes, pictures and all.

Back