93 motor swap issue | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 motor swap issue

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So does anyone think i can get the 5 years back fees dropped because there not doing late fees right now? Lol

What I do is sell the truck to my wife then no more late fees for letting the registration lapse
FYI in some states you are allowed to "gift" a vehicle so you can put down you sold it for $0 if you want

California makes you pay back reg usually when sold.

Well finally got around to trying to smog it (over 650 hours of ot last year I didn't have time) it is running nicely. But failed with really high NO. And gross evap leak. Evap has been fixed. didn't realize I broke the line from tank to frame when installing new fuel pump. Would that also be my high NO problem? Besides that I'm thinking cats or o2 sensors. Anyway hope everyone that has had advice or has advice is doing well. Thanks for any input.

Any ideas? And can't figure out hi egr voltage

You are getting a code for the EGR?
What is the code
Did you clear the code and then it comes back?

You are getting a code for the EGR?
What is the code
Did you clear the code and then it comes back?
Ya its egr voltage high and exhausted pressure to high. I pulled the cats of and washed them In soapy water. Stuff did come out of them. Don't know if it will actually help or not.

what is the actual code(s)?

EGR voltage high
EGR flow or pressure too high?
These could both be rather simple to fix and have nothing to do with clogged converters

Ok finally got the codes. 452 speed sensor, 337egr above max voltage and 336 egr voltage high than expected.

Any speedometer symptoms? Like jumping needle or not displaying an accurate speed? I think either the sensor on top of the rear axle is bad or an issue with the psom

Well thats because I need a longer cable. Dose the speed sensor have anything to to with the egr? Do 1st gens actually need them for the computer?

Well thats because I need a longer cable. Dose the speed sensor have anything to to with the egr? Do 1st gens actually need them for the computer?
The ecm uses the speed sensor to calculate fuel economy, 3-4 shift, tcc lockup for the auto trans and some other stuff I'm forgetting at the moment. Have you removed the egr valve to inspect it for carbon buildup?

I have a 5 speed and all new sensors and pigtails. And it a 1st gen so didn't think the broken speed sensor would be a check engine light issue with egr problem.

Not all 93’s had egr
Does your engine have egr? I mean I know you have egr codes but is there actually a egr system on the engine

If your pcm was ever replaced or repaired it maybe looking for an egr system that is not there

First gens definitely need a speed sensor the computer needs to know you are
Moving
The speedometer in the dash is cable driven but it sits inside the vss which is an electronic sensor in the trans (t case).
The vss is gear driven and the drive gear gets worn which can cause the bouncing needle or erratic speedo

Well it passed everything but high nox. And the smog shop said do to the low levels of the other gasses the cat was probably working fine. I found my fuel pump regulator vacuum line was off but the smog guy said that probably helped. Does that make any sense?

After your smog is sorted this time, consider changing reg details for this vehicle to neighboring amador county or one of the other program area 3 regions that are so close to Sacramento.

After your smog is sorted this time, consider changing reg details for this vehicle to neighboring amador county or one of the other program area 3 regions that are so close to Sacramento.
But, only if you actually move to one of those regions....

I thought 1994 was the only 1st gen with VSS. It doesn't have anything to do with shift points. It's got something to do with fuel line control. I went through VSS when I installed my Atlas II. I had a new VSS unit made up by a speedo company with cable on both sides.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm thinking new fuel pressure regulator. If the vacuum line being off helped. That make sense?

Back