'93 Ranger 4.0L - Poly motor mounts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'93 Ranger 4.0L - Poly motor mounts?

Carguy3J

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
North East New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD
I'm going to be replacing the motor and trans in my '93 Ranger soon. It will be getting a mildly worked 4.0L-OHV (comp 410 cam, light port/polish, headers), but I drive it and work it hard. I feel like the available parts store motor mounts just don't hold up (or the trans mounts..). I can't find polyurethane motor mounts for this thing.

I see Energy Suspension offers a poly trans mount (m5OD, 4x4), but not the motor mounts. Really, this is backwards. If you are only going to stiffen up one or the other, you have to start with the motor mounts. Using a stiff trans mount, with soft oe type motor mounts, allows the motor to torque over and will try to twist the bell housing/trans, leading to eventual cracks in the bell housing and/or trans damage.

So, anybody know where I can get poly motor mounts?

While we're at it, for bonus points, anybody have a CONFIRMED part# and current source for that little torque limiter shock on the driver side of the motor?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you could always just make the mounts solid no rubber.

you could always just make the mounts solid no rubber.

Sure, I could... But then I wouldn't have asked about a poly mount. This is a daily driver/work truck. Solid motor mounts would not be appropriate for this vehicle.

Wow! Nobody has any answers on this?For a fairly popular 20+ year old truck, I though these would be easy to find.:mad:

try the ranger station, or ford ranger forum.

The only poly mount I know of is made by autofab in El Cajon, California. http://autofab.com/i-9609270-83-97-ranger-4wd-truck-4-0-v6-motor-mounts.html

As you can see, they are very pricy. Brian1 on the board is in the testing phase of mounts you would be happy with. They are a direct bolt in replacement and should be about $100 less than the autofab mounts. Send him a PM letting him know you are interested.

Im interested in this depending on how its made..I currently plan to run solid. .

The only poly mount I know of is made by autofab in El Cajon, California. http://autofab.com/i-9609270-83-97-ranger-4wd-truck-4-0-v6-motor-mounts.html

As you can see, they are very pricy. Brian1 on the board is in the testing phase of mounts you would be happy with. They are a direct bolt in replacement and should be about $100 less than the autofab mounts. Send him a PM letting him know you are interested.

Thanks for the info. Those autofab mounts look good, but they also look simple enough to make, that they should be half the price, or less. Another case of someone pricing themselves right out of any significant sales.You could actually buy a cheap welder and material for right around what they want for those. At $240, they'd be lucky to sell a dozen pairs. At $100, they'd probably sell hundreds of them. (Though I would still like a lower price)

Anybody have an old OEM mount they could take apart and post pics of? I'd like to see the shape, size, and method of attachment of the rubber inside.

Anybody have an old OEM mount they could take apart and post pics of? I'd like to see the shape, size, and method of attachment of the rubber inside.

I have a couple..before I went solid in my explorer I was breaking them every couple weeks..I know I 3 or four good ones laying around..its basically two pieces of metal with rubber ""glued"" in the middle with a safety stud connecting the two pieces of metal..POS:thumbdwn:

I have a couple..before I went solid in my explorer I was breaking them every couple weeks..I know I 3 or four good ones laying around..its basically two pieces of metal with rubber ""glued"" in the middle with a safety stud connecting the two pieces of metal..POS:thumbdwn:

It's the shape of the rubber that I'm interested in. Is it just a square block or some sort of funky shape? The reason I ask is Energy Suspension offers polyurethane blocks.

I have all the material to make sets just like autofab but I just dont have the time to fab a set like that..not easy taking the exhaust off, mounts off and then taking a ton of measurements and test fits on a lowered truck I DD..

I make very simple mounts and cut a tire tread up and use that as a isolation pad..they are solid as crap and honestly it doesnt rattle much worse than stock

motor1_zpsjan2idqa.jpg

trans1_zpsrctczc31.jpg

It's the shape of the rubber that I'm interested in. Is it just a square block or some sort of funky shape? The reason I ask is Energy Suspension offers polyurethane blocks.

Its pretty square, if I had to guess I would say 4x4 or like 4x3ish... .the problem comes on attaching it to the metal,90% break loose...ill see if I can find a broken one and ill post pictures of it and its size..if not I know I have one I can cut up for you if need be.

When I recently noticed too much play in my stock, 20 year old mounts, I went with OEM. Slightly modified. I cut out the rivet and put a grade 8 bolt through the rivet hole. Tightened it up until the rubber was compressed slightly. They have been working fine, and took nearly all of the play out of the engine / transmission. I did not come up with this, it has been done quite a bit on the rangerstation.com, and Kirby from this forum gave me the idea. You need a bolt with a flush reduced head so it doesn't interfere with the mount sitting flush on the engine cross member.

IMG_20140627_122549_801_Large_.jpg

IMG_20140627_122530_163_Large_.jpg

Got the mounts through rockauto.com for about $30 shipped. It should hold me until brian1 releases his mounts for sale.

Does #brian1 [MENTION=1644]Brian1[/MENTION] have a thread about them?? I wonder if he can make me a custom set that sits 3/8" higher..I need clearance for my sohc pan, another reason I normally go solid. .

Does #brian1 [MENTION=1644]Brian1[/MENTION] have a thread about them?? I wonder if he can make me a custom set that sits 3/8" higher..I need clearance for my sohc pan, another reason I normally go solid. .

No thread yet. I want to have my prototypes tested for a bit before I start selling them. They use polyurethane bushings.

3/8" taller can be done through the use of a spacer block. My fixtures I use to make them are only made to the stock size and making the actual mount 3/8" taller would require building another set of fixtures which I don't want to do for only 1 set. I could however use longer bolts and dowels then just weld on a 3/8" top plate (in addition) to make what you need. Not as eloquent of a solution but it would achieve the same end result.

20141012_154651.jpg

No thread that I am aware of, just send him a PM. He makes stuff for a living.

No thread yet. I want to have my prototypes tested for a bit before I start selling them. They use polyurethane bushings.

3/8" taller can be done through the use of a spacer block. My fixtures I use to make them are only made to the stock size and making the actual mount 3/8" taller would require building another set of fixtures which I don't want to do for only 1 set. I could however use longer bolts and dowels then just weld on a 3/8" top plate (in addition) to make what you need. Not as eloquent of a solution but it would achieve the same end result.

20141012_154651.jpg

Yea I can do the plate if the bolts were long enough, that way I can make the plate to the clearance needed..

Keep me in mind after testing is done.I would be interested in a set if priced right.o and if you think they will stand up to my motor, should be well over 500hp at block:eek:

No thread that I am aware of, just send him a PM. He makes stuff for a living.

Thanks for mentioning him, I forgot all about him;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back