• Register Today It's free!

93 sport engine swap questions...

rdecker83

Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
Will a 5.0 V8 (say out of a 95 or 97) fit into a 93 sport? What challenges/problems can I expect? Can I still use my old 5 speed? Any advice you have to offer will be greatly accepted.

yes, no and lots.

:)

You need to search, but here are the basics.
There is no difference between your 93 Sport and a 95-97 Explorer with a 5.0L EXCEPT for the engine crossmember (due to frint suspension change)

You will not retain your 5 speed, the 4.0L and 5.0L do not share anything when it comes to bolting up a transmission. The good news is you dont want to keep your 5 speed anyways so you can choose what 5.0L transmission you want to run.

There are ALOT of issues/challenges you will run into when doing a conversion like this.
The really good news is that it has been done hundreds of times by all sorts of different people for all sorts of different reasons using all sorts of different setups. So basically the research has been done for you.

When using a 96+ Explorer 5.0L as the donor things are very simplified as far as fitting the engine in your truck and getting all the required systems, HOWEVER no 5.0L explorer ever came with 4wd. Alot of what you do depends on what transmission you want to run. The 96+ 5.0L is OBD-II electronics, DIS ignition, EFI, so the wiring and setup you run depend greatly on what transmission you want behind the 5.0L.
What I am getting at is before you can even purchase a soark plug for this conversion you need to have a thurough understanding of who what why and how. Luckily this is possible on the internet, on this site and a few others.

Your best bet is to use the search button.
Try 5.0L conversion

You can also Google 5.0L Ranger, 5.0l conversion, etc and you can read for DAYS.

What do you want to use the truck for?
Do you want autro or 5 speed transmission?

this will get you started.
Also you can see I am doing this conversion in to my 88 Bronco II right now, VERY similar to what you would go through with your sport, basically the only difference would be the radiator support on the BII is different from the Gen I Explorer, I have less room. Also my truck was previously setup with a 93 Explorer 4.0L drivetrain.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info, I need to do a lot more homework on this project. BUT IT CAN BE DONE!!

Back