93 XLT Dana 44 front axle swap. (I NEED HELP PLEASE). | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 XLT Dana 44 front axle swap. (I NEED HELP PLEASE).

I have a 93 xlt with the front ttb off, and im getting a danna 44 out of a 78-79 bronco. How much does it need to be shotned, and on what side the passanger or the driver. Im not doing a four link right not im doing the same set up as froader. Is there a complete thread thats shows step by step what i need and what i need do as far as installing it. Thank you so much. :). :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So that link i just got done reading, if i want to get it cut down i need to get a 76-77 F-100, F-150 axle, are those high pinion it did not say. Thank you.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

If your going to cut down, use a 78-79 F150 axle.
If your going full witdh, use 76-77 F150 axle, wedges weld on and can be moved in on the axle instead of spacing out your coil bucket towers on the frame which adds alot of stress to the frame. 76-79 are all High Pinions.
-My vote on gen 1s is go Narrow, its easy and fits good!

So that link i just got done reading, if i want to get it cut down i need to get a 76-77 F-100, F-150 axle, are those high pinion it did not say. Thank you.

Yes, that's the whole point of narrowing a full width is for hi pinion (which is stated to be 30% stronger than low pinion).

I agree, I like stock track width look than something with ridiculously wide stance but as Stico pointed out, with the right offset it's not much wider. But I don't know much, I have the stock axle on my truck.

Cool because the axle im trying to get is out of a 78 bronco. Hey dannyboy you live in Scottsdale i see, i just moved from Glendale. Im only about 45 minutes out of Glendale in Mayer if you know where that is. I think im going to have to put the sas on hold for a minute i pulled my motor out and it is being rebuilt, and i decided to do the 700r4 switch. I found one for $75.00 i was going to pick it up but ive been reading you need a 60 degree. The one i found is in a S-10 Blazer with the 3.8 will this one work. If it will i will get it today, once this is done ill be finishing the sas. Do you know of any one that wants this ttb. I have no use for it now. Thank you.

The one i found is in a S-10 Blazer with the 3.8 will this one work. If it will i will get it today, once this is done ill be finishing the sas. Thank you.

Depends. Where is the distributor located? Is on the back of the motor or on the front. If its a rear distributor 3.8L then no.

what gears do you have in that TTB? You're wheels won't fit the bolt pattern of the 44 either.

Also, what do you plan on doing for your rear axle to match the bolt pattern? I'd suggest 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 1.5" spacer/adapters.

I have the 700r4 that you need to do this swap. I'll sell it to you for $50. I might be able to get it to Phoenix in a few weeks for a few more bucks if you are interested. Or come out to truckhaven and pick it up and meet a bunch of us from this site. It is just a core case. It probably needs a rebuild. No converter.

I have the 700r4 that you need to do this swap. I'll sell it to you for $50. I might be able to get it to Phoenix in a few weeks for a few more bucks if you are interested. Or come out to truckhaven and pick it up and meet a bunch of us from this site. It is just a core case. It probably needs a rebuild. No converter.

Or DannyBoy could deliver it when he comes and picks up his parts.:D

I did not even look at the motor that is good to know say it is towards the front like i need are the 3.8 trannys good, well i guess it really does not really matter since it will probaly need a rebuild. The ttb is stock gearing thats why i decided to go solid because i did not like the ttb to much and would rather build a solid, Im sure there good in some ways i just have always had XJ's and it always seemed easier to work with to me, but that is just me. The funny thing is that if i never had that Jeep i would never had pulled it out with my stock explorer i had sitting for years thats why i started this Explorer project and im glad i did that Jeep was to much hassle, and i always hit my head on the roof. Its all good though :).

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251735

Salton City CA

There will be 5 rigs there that are setup with solid axle swaps. All of them are done a bit different. Be a few more people there that have SAS rigs that are torn down on rebuilds that are familiar about the setups. Also at least one or two rigs that have the 700r4 swaps done in them as well. Two different ways these were done as well. Good way to get a bunch info on ways to build your explorer.

Thats sucks man i wont make it i have to be at work those days my boss is on a hunt so i have to stay to supervise my guys. But hopefullf next time around il be ready to go. Again thanks for the info this site rocks. :).

...:shifty_ey ...I'll take it for free....Just don't know when we could meet up...Unless you come out with the AZ. crew...

Hey rockranger is a core case just the case. Thanks.

A core is generally complete, but isn't suitable to be used with out rebuilding/refurbishing.

Hey rockranger is a core case just the case. Thanks.

It is a 2wd 700r4. Has the input where the torque convertor goes onto, then to the output for the rear drive shaft. I have no idea of the condition of the internals. I don't think it has been pulled apart inside at all. Might be good might be bad. I have no idea. That is whey I say it is a core. If you are swapping it in you would need to change the rear output anyway so you might as well rebuild it.

I will not be able to come out this time around because of work but i am sure i can give it to some one to give to you, and rock ranger i have not checked the one i was going to get yet but ill get it from you if this one does not work out. From what i have been reading i get the adapters for the transmission and the shifter, then its good or not even close. I am going to get my short block when i get a day off. I will post pics this engine is so nice now i hope its runs good to. The delta cam and rockers are sweet.

Thanks man i cant wait to finish my explorer so i can go wheel this thing. Dude it sat for years and it started right up it must love me. Thanks again.

Back