• Register Today It's free!

94 A4LD XLT chirp (please help)

atistang

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
ok, we got this xlt from an auction, when we got it, it was leaking trans fluid from the pan, and the modulator valve was bad

Fixed that and drove it for about 8k miles with it shifting great, but when it was cold it had a chirp noise coming from the transmission

when you first start it up it makes the noise, chirp chirp chirp. as it warms up the noise slowly goes away. Then you put it in drive and take off down the road and it chirps like crazy with the engine rpm for about 10 miles, then it goes away.

about 2 months ago it started acting funny when you took off the first time. every day when i pulled out of my driveway and put it into drive it would take about 30 seconds to engage, you could just sit there and rev it up and nothing. then it would engage and after that shifted great the rest of the day.

about 2 weeks ago i had been driving it all day and i put it into OD and go to take off and i got nothing. I ended up having to put it into 1st then it engaged and away i went, but if i put shifted into OD at anytime it would just rev up.

So today i get it back from the transmission shop, they said they put a rebuild kit in it because one clutch pack was toast and the other didn't look very good. They also but a new modulator valve in it, they said the one we put in had already went bad as there was trans fluid in the vacuum line when they pulled it. The receipt also says they replaced the converter (i haven't asked them about that yet).

So i start it up and to my surprise the squeak is still there. I take off down the road and it shifts into each gear at a very low speed. then when you floor it, it kicks down a gear and slips so bad the engine just hits the rev limiter. I've checked the fluid and it is over full but there are no air bubbles in it that i can see.

I am taking it back tomorrow and they said they aim to make it right, so i hope they can.

Does anyone have any idea what the chirping could be? I can get under it and it sounds like its coming from the front of the trans, they also said they put a different pump in the trans which i found odd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the guy said he put an adjustable modulator in it. idk why he just didn't put the right one in, but i am hoping that the slipping will be taken care of with adjusting the modulator. the chirping still worries me

Since you have a 4WD, I would check the transfer case. There is nothing wrong with the adjustable modulators. They give you some flexibility as far as fine tuning the shift points.

nothing should be turning in the transfer case when its in park, should there?

i'm gonna head back up to the trans shop in about an hour and see what we can get figured out

well the guy adjusted the modulator, now it shifts better, but still not right

if you power brake it, the rpms will go to over 3k and it doesn't try to spin the tires

now if you punch it and it kicks down, it will pull good until about 4200rpms, then it acts like its hitting the rev limiter. but you can put it in neutral and rev it to 5k no problem

Back