94 Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Eddie Bauer

Just bought a 94 Eddie Bauer Explorer this past sunday.
160k miles $500.
Guy said it has a small coolant leak and i smell it sometimes but the level hasnt changed and i dont see it on the ground. There is plenty of snow up here in NH so see something like that. And the exhaust doesnt smell like head gasket. Again ive only had it for 3 days.
He replaced the water pump and lower radiator hose.
New Kumho tires and supposedly new pads all the way around and new rear drums. I need front rotors only because they are slightly warped.
Tranny takes about a second+ to shift into drive.
Its a light greenish teal with the tan bottom.
Pics are below but not only are they the worst ive ever taken but the truck looks darker than it is.
Normal 4x4 works but low range does not. The light next to the button does not light up. I dont know if its the solenoid or the switch itself.
Dual power seats but the passenger side doesnt work and the drivers side lumbar doesnt work but the lower bolster does. I dont know if the upper bolsters are supposed to do anything like the thunderbird supercoupe but they dont. The leather is much better than i ever expected with the only rips being on the surface in the ass part of the passenger seat. I hate the rear seats. What happened to 60/40? This is like 80/20. Glad i never have to sit back there.
It has a "sunroof" or whatever one calls it ("monroof ect") that is knob operated and can be removed. My buddy thinks its aftermarket. I dont know.
Last night while i was mutilating the premium sound speaker connections because someone ruined the connector i found the front windows to be very fast. Fast like my old 96 taurus sho which most people even noticed and commented on. But when driving tonight they were much slower.
My tailgate is in tact and the hydraulics actually hold it up.
Being a new england car the side skirts collected all the road salt and held onto it ruining the rocker panels.
The previous owner decided to remove the passenger side skirt to expose the lack of rocker but left the drivers. Tho i can tell that one is toast too. Wheel wells are kinda rusty but not too bad when compared to the rockers.
Runs a little rough and so far all i found was a rotted egr tube. Ive used about 1/4 tank of gas in around 40 miles. No CEL, the overdrive works, I dont drive it heavy (yet), and the alignment is close to on.
Ive had a love/hate relationship with the explorer and the ranger yet this is my first. But many family and friends have owned them and ive seen them go the distance and down in flames. One currently owns a 94 ranger with 190k miles, 5 speed trans, manual transfer case, manual locking hubs, extended cab 4.0l with power everything but seats.I needed a cheap ride and this fit the bill. And im liking it.
Here are some horrid pics and will post better when i get around to it.
And if i can think of anything else i like or dislike ill post it.

DSCN0918.jpg

DSCN0919.jpg

DSCN0925.jpg

DSCN0926.jpg

DSCN0927.jpg

DSCN0928.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh and i was offered a lighted visor for $100
I ####ing love visors on suvs and trucks but i dont know if i love my explorer enough to spend money on not needed cosmetics.
**** i had something else to post but in the time it took for this page to load i forgot it.

I remember now. I hate the explorer grille. I also hate the billet and mesh grilles. I do like the ranger grille. I know the explorer shares headlights with the ranger and bronco II yet the explorer looks wider to the eye. And the ranger stx i believe uses an explorer style grille and the limited explorer uses a grill close to the ranger in that the emblem is in the middle.
I never see explorers with ranger grilles. Does it actually fit?

Yes

I remember now. I hate the explorer grille. I also hate the billet and mesh grilles. I do like the ranger grille. I know the explorer shares headlights with the ranger and bronco II yet the explorer looks wider to the eye. And the ranger stx i believe uses an explorer style grille and the limited explorer uses a grill close to the ranger in that the emblem is in the middle.
I never see explorers with ranger grilles. Does it actually fit?

It fits...

Your sun/moon roof is also stock in case you were still wondering.

Ah yes thats what i figured about the sun/moon roof when i saw pictures of one in another explorer. It also looks like once upon a time there was a cover that attached to the inside to block out the sun.

Yea I've got one for my Eddie Bauer Sport, never use it though. Putting those covers on seem to really close up any car to me, just by leaving the cover off and the outside visible gives the car a better, more open feel in my opinion. Kind of like how people put huge mirrors in their houses to give the illusion of a bigger room.

I used to drive a 96 taurus sho a while back with a moon roof and on some real hot days i definitely felt the need to have the cover shut. As much as i wanted the whole thing open it was just blazing sun and heat. Yesterday in the explorer i left work to grab something for lunch and the sun was aimed just right that it blinded me thru the roof for just a second.

I could see that, forgot to mention I tinted my sunroof the day after I tinted the rest of the windows because when I was driving the whole car was a little darker then all of a sudden I would make a turn or something and the sun would blind me through the roof and then I would have to let my eyes readjust. Not so good when driving in traffic....

You know i may just do that. My roof and all of my rear windows are already factory tinted but its not very dark. Before buying this explorer i was borrowing an 05 blazer sport for a week and the factory tint was much darker making a big difference. I like a very dark rear area. And here in new hampshire im not allowed to tint my front windows. But im pretty sure i can slap another layer of tint on my rears and roof. OR maybe just the roof.

Back