94 explorer has no power whats so ever | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer has no power whats so ever

mmunsee

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer
When im driving the accelleration always gives out, and when im going up hills i cant go any faster than 35-40, and again the the accelleration gives out...any ideas what would cause this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When im driving the accelleration always gives out, and when im going up hills i cant go any faster than 35-40, and again the the accelleration gives out...any ideas what would cause this?

yes, lots of ideas... but you have to give us more information.

does it run rough or smooth?
any funny sounds?
is the check engine light on?
have you done anything to it recently?
did the problem start all at once, or slowly get worse over time?
is it hard to start?

runs smooth
no funny sounds
check engine light goes on and off,on and off, on and off
The problem just happened out of no where
the truck doesnt want to start sometimes, but every time i mess with the EEC Power relay it starts right up

When you first turn the key to "ACC" do you hear the initial hum of the in-tank fuel filter starting up? Fuel injectors clogged? Have you checked for codes?

no ihave not checkedthe codes, how do i check the fuel injectors?

I've never checked the fuel injectors on an Exp, but I would imagine a code reader would point you in the right direction.

yes start with a code scanner.. it's obd-1 for you're explorer.

if it's not throwing codes constantly, and it sounds good, then i'd probably start with the fuel system...
maybe the fuel filter is clogged? replace it, it's a good idea to replace the filter every 50k miles anyhow.

also try a bottle of injector cleaner (or premium fuel with "techron" or other cleaners in it) what state are you in?

Since you're ecc power relay seems to be giving issues, i'd replace that (or at least clean it's terminals very, very good, as well as the socket) it could be an electrical problem causing the whole thing just because of some resistance in a cruddy connection at that relay.

will replacing the EEC PowerRelay fix anything? And also replacing the fuel filter?Replacing those two things will possibly fix my problem?

IM IN CALIFORNIA BTW

Probably time for new O2 sensors. What codes do you have???

i just replaced the fuel filter, i can tell it runs better, but when i put the pedal to the floor it still doesnt want to go anywhere. I took the plastic air hose piece off that goes into the engine where the throttle is, and when i put the pedal to the floor the flap only opens a little bit, not half way like its supposed to, how can i adjust this to open all the way when i push the pedal all the way down? I think thats my problem i cant go faster than 35 up a hill.

this mod will open the flap all the way when i push pedal all the way down?

Yes!

just did that mod, it helped. but when i floor it it bogs a bit, i noticed the plastic ring around my air filter broke off so the air filter doesnt sit in the casing very good and it cant close all the way to make a good seal?

ok i replaced the fuel filter and toped off the trans fluid, the truck ran great for 3 days, and out of no where the truck had no power again and is running like ****, any ideas? Im guessing the fuel filter is clogged again? So there might be stuff inside my gas tank?

There should be a strainer or screen on the pump itself that would prevent most of the big stuff from going through it, so it would take and awful lot of small stuff to clog a fuel filter in 3 days.

Did you ever the PCM checked for codes?

the codes that popped up when engine was on was 411 538 and 363 ?

DTC 411
Cannot control RPM during KOER self-test low RPM check.

DTC 538
Insufficient RPM change during KOER dynamic response test.
Invalid cylinder balance test due to throttle movement during test.
Invalid cylinder balance test due to cylinder identification circuit failure.

363 doesn't come up with anything.

So....what does all that mean? Any idea weasel? I mean any of that would make the truck run like ****?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, 411 just means that the PCM couldn't control the RPM of the engine during the self-test.

Possible causes:

Improper idle air flow set.
Vacuum leaks.
Throttle linkage binding.
Throttle plates open.
Improper ignition timing.
Idle Air Control (IAC) solenoid contamination.
IAC circuit short to ground.
Damaged IAC solenoid.
Does engine Idle speed appear normal?

538 means that the system didn't recognize WOT during the self-test. Most hand-held scanners will tell you to mash the throttle at a certain point during the scan process - my Auto X-Ray will say something like "Depress throttle now." and that's my cue to push the pedal to the floor and immediately let off.

Can you recheck the codes and make sure what that third one is? I don't have a listing for DTC 363 anywhere and that third code might be something significant or it might be nothing.

Can you go faster than 35MPH on level ground or does it just give you problems when going up a hill?

What happens when you rev the engine up to about 4k or so, does it go smoothly all the way up?

What happens if you jack the rear end up and accelerate to 35MPH - 45MPH, does it manage without problems or does it bog down?

Lastly, is it a manual or automatic?

Back