• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer idle problem

Sam7.3

Reaction score
City, State
Downers Grove
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer xlt
recently bought a 94 explorer and ran rich. replaced the EGR pressure sensor, DPFE, and MAF. check engine light comes on for about two minutes then goes off for a while before coming back on. exhaust has light black smoke SOMETIMES. when i go to start it it dies right away and i have to hold the pedal for a couple seconds for it to idle normally. gas guage doesnt work not sure if that means anything but just throwing it out there. after i get it to start, or after driving it for a little bit, it seems to idle fine for a couple of minutes then it seems like it has a miss fire and starts to idle rough and then dies. have had it scanned 3 times replaced what came up on the first scan (codes 122 327) second time (code 111, which means no codes) third time (MAF sensor). I really need to get this issue fixed because i drive an hr one way to work and cant afford to replace ever part nor can i afford to have it die on me on my way to work.

check the simple stuff first. when the engine light stays on use a paper clip to see what code it's throwing. check the grounds for the computer. is there a fuel blockage? my book says code 122 is throttle position sensor.

check the simple stuff first. when the engine light stays on use a paper clip to see what code it's throwing. check the grounds for the computer. is there a fuel blockage? my book says code 122 is throttle position sensor.
how do you check the codes with a paperclip?

Back